1.9 JTD GT - turn the ignition key and...nothing! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
1.9 JTD GT - turn the ignition key and...nothing!

Dear all,

I am beginning to get to grips with the idiosyncracies of my Alfa GT.

I have recently been having problems trying to start the car. I carry out the usual starting procedure as set out in the GT handbook but occasionally turning the key all the way results in nothing at all - just silence. The starter motor doesn't try to turn the engine over but if I take the key out and try again, after a couple of attempts the engine will fire normally.

Thursday morning I went to start my car as normal (key in ignition, turn to first position, dash lights come on, self-checks carried out - all fine with no warning symbols or messages, glow plug light on dash flicks on as normal and almost immediately goes out, depress clutch and turn key all the way) and nothing happend. This time I could not get the car started at all. Gave up after several attempts then went back inside the house.

Unfortunately, Alfaowner.com was offline but found a thread on another forum that suggested wiggling key in the ignition might help. Tried that and car started as normal!!!

Anyone experienced this problem with a GT or any other Afla for that matter? Is it a common known fault and do I need to do anything to get it fixed to prevent permanent damage or can I just deploy the wiggle method in future without problems?

Advice gratefully appreciated!

Alfa Romeo GT Cloverleaf Q2 170bhp
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon TI Q4 210bhp
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: 1.9 JTD GT - turn the ignition key and...nothing!

i've not read about this problem before, and i've not had it (V6 GT).

i suppose the possible problems are:
*low voltage/dying battery/bad battery terminal connection
*faulty ignition key barrel
*key fob security code fault

when you car DOES start, does the battery seem low: starter motor that is struggling to turn the engine over? not from what you describe, so i think the battery is probably ok.

if there's a security code issue, there should be a warning, so presumably not that.

makes me think the ignition barrel/wiring is faulty. you probably need your dealer to check it out. is the car under warranty still?

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 15-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: 1.9 JTD GT - turn the ignition key and...nothing!

I've only had the car for a month. It was bought from an Alfa franchised dealership and has a full 12 month warranty. I am taking the car in soon to get my second key coded so will get it checked out then. Thanks.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

andnothing , ignition , jtd , key , turn