bye bye 156 hello 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 13-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Vaud
bye bye 156 hello 159

After 18months of owning a 2.4 20V MJET Ti Sportwagon (Moon Blue) I have decided to upgrade to an '06 plate 2.4 159 Lusso SW (Titano Grey). In many ways I am sad to see the 156 go not least because:

1. Its so good looking (better than the 159 IMO)

2. The 2.4MJET engine in the 156 is quick, torquey and fuel efficient (>42mpg)

3. Its inexpensive to buy/own

However, I was unfortunate that I bought the car and unknown to me the previous owner had the car remapped. The tell tale sign was it smoking like a B52 on full-boost or at low-revs under load. It took a couple of months to/fro to Mango's to diagnose the issue and then get the remap removed - problem solved.

However, the car has also gone through 3 sets of drive shafts (all replaced under warranty) - I can't help thinking that the remap has been responsible for this putting too much pressure on components. This soured my view of the car as I had to wait ages for parts and was in and out of courtesy cars for weeks on end.

Whilst I love the looks and performance, the ride and damping on the 156 are horrendous compared to the 159. I have had wishbones and antiroll drop links sorted - these really shouldn't wear out in under 50k miles......

Anyway, I will be sad to see the old girl go.....we've done 40,000 miles together and despite the problems mentioned above, she has never let me down. For anyone who is interested she should be on the forecourt at Mangos in the next couple of weeks.

I see that 159 ownership is not without its issues and that the general consensus is the newer 200hp 2.4 engine is not as good as the unit in the 156. However I run a GT, have had a 166 (new shape) and a 156 twinnie before that and despite all the little gremlins, I am Alfa through and through!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 159 , bye