There I was... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-08 Thread Starter
Help There I was...

it was a bright and sunny day. The birds were singing and I thought, now would be a good day to change my fan belt. After completing the task and having some dinner, I took the car to fill it up with diesel and on my return it was making a horrible knocking noise from, whcich can only be described as the cambelt area. On closer inspection and getting a second opinion, I've been told it's the crankshaft pulley braking up and it's hitting what I think is the fanbelt tensioner. Has anybody else had a similar problem? The car was running fine before I changed the fanbelt.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: There I was...

What was the reason for replacing the aux belt in the first place?
County: Wiltshire

That's a fairly chunky pulley to be braking up or did they mean a cam belt idler?
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 09-03-08 Thread Starter
Help Re: There I was...

The Fanbelt had a split in it, so I changed it for that reason. Seemd to go on okay, so no problems there, but this a 2.4 5 cylinder turbo diesel car, so I'm not sure if that could make things clearer? I got in touch with Alfa and they said, as a matter of course, you should always change the tensioners for the fanbelt and they cost approx 200 the pair, but seeing the car has only done 40k miles, it seemed an expensive way of doing things. I had a mechanic look at it, who said, you put the belt on fine and he thinks it's the crankshaft pulley that's the problem. The crankshaft seems to be hitting what I think must be an idler for the fanbelt. What I've read here and on other pages the crankshaft pulley only breaks up in excess of 100k miles or when it's had oil contamination and this car has had neither. It does seem to be quieter when the car is up to full temp. Any ideas?
AO Member

Don't know - but I wouldn't turn it on again till someone's looked at it!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT