Rear brake gives sound - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-08 Thread Starter
Rear brake gives sound

Hi all,

My one year old alfa 147 JTD with 50 000 km gives a metallic/rotating beep sound (sorry the bad explanation!) from right rear brakes when driving. The sound reminds you of two metallic surfaces rotating towards each other with too little grease in between. You hear the sound from inside the car as well as from the outside. The sound comes and goes and shifts in strength. First I heard it I went to my mechanic and we checked the breakes which looked just fine so we did nothing. Sound went away but came back. Now it comes and goes. Sound goes away when you turn or break hard indicating some sort of inbalance.

Sound often starts after 20 km and then increases in strength. Once I have noticed how the rear tier has become warm.

Anyone who had similar issues? What would you do as a first move? Disconnect and clean the breakes? Does it matter from a warranty perspective if you have it checked by and authorised fiat mechanic or not?

Thanks for advice,
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Rear brake gives sound

Hello there.: Sounds as if you may have a pad composition problem, or perhaps they need stripping down, and a close inspection to try and determine the cause? Could just be they are sticking a bit, and not retracting sufficiently?:
Global Mod Team
County: Milano

Moved to 147 Tech Lounge
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

The fact that it's getting warm suggests that you've got a sticking pad or caliper. Taking the pads out & cleaning & lubricating everything should solve the problem. Make sure that the pads are free to move in the caliper & that the pins the caliper slides on move easily.
AO Platinum Member

Sticking caliper.
All down to lack of proper maintenance...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

I had a similar noise on my 156. Did a lot of reading up on it and the best cure seems to be to strip down and make sure everything is clean before putting back together with liberal use of copper slip on rear of the pads (i.e. the bit that's held by the caliper, not the bit that touches the disks! ).

I never did get this done myself, went for a good drive, did a bit of repeated hard braking on a completely empty road and it's been fine ever since.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 05-03-08 Thread Starter

Hey all,

Great thanks for your answers! You confirmed what I suspected and next step for me will be to strip down the breaks and make sure to get them cleaned up. All the salt and dirt on the Danish roads in winter times is probably one factor causing it. Again, thanks for your advice.

AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

I would remove the rear caliper, remove the pads, and wind the piston in and out a few times with a proper piston wind back tool to free it off, then add some copper grease on the back of the pads whan putting it back together.
AO Silver Member

Here's a guide for you:

How to stop your Alfa Brakes from Squealing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , rear , sound