156 Undertray? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 27-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 Undertray?

A friend at work has a 1999 156 V6. At present there is no undertray fitted under the engine. Does anyone know if it should have one as standard?
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Re: 156 Undertray?

Yes it should, but they're notoriously fragile, so a lot are missing. It's not such a big deal I don't think. The bottom of the engine might be dirtier, and a tiny bit more noise.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

its nothing to worry about. mine is missing, i dont plan to replace it.
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

same here, its not an issue really. Just keeps a bit of muck out of teh engine bay but not a lot.
AO Silver Member

alleged noise dampening and protection from the elements, I beleive the weather protection line, makes sense but I have not seen issues with cars missing the trays.

and even dealers dont bother repairing them and simply remove trays that are falling off! unless they want more money from you, thus charging for a new one and not simply fixing what you have!

if you can, try to have a look under the car for any damage/wear, highly unlikely but best to check.
*the issue you could have is driving through standing water, the tray could help prevent the engine sucking any water in? maybe?
AO Member

Install an aluminium one. You won't regret it.
It protects the engine from taking a hit on the sump and also keeps it clean.
Installing an aluminium one, also gives you some more clearance than the plastic one and also won't break on the first hit.

Alfa 156 Aluminium Motor-Schutzabdeckung Aluminium Motor-Schutzabdeckung
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Wouldn't be without one. Stops an immense amount of dirt, and muck, getting into the engine/transmission bay. That aside from the purported aerodynamics.:
AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

I would not bother they are a pain! They get mangled and screws/bolts can be hard to remove. Also stop you noticing any minor leaks as they simply lay on tray.

I recently bought my 166 - I asked the seller if I could borrow some tools and removed the undertray (and left it with them!) before I headed home as it was hanging low and would have been very noisy on motorway flapping about!

I give the underside of my engine a jet wash every week or two to remove and salt and grime
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

I don't have one either, won't bother putting one on.....Too much hassle when changing oil for a start, the only benefit is it'll protect the sump to a very small effect when your car bottoms out (and if it's a 156...IT WILL!!) But it won't protect it enough to warrant putting one on!! IMO
AO Silver Member
County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I bought mine without one on.. well apart from a piece of remains when last owner gave up removing the bolt. I'm a bit more stubborn so an hour later the bolt was out and I had connected on an aluminium tray. I actually notice a difference in noise, it sounds throatier with the tray on (better!) as possibly helps to keep wind noise to a minimum. Only fitted 5 of the 7 bolts though as would just take too long when oil change comes round
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

I have part numbers 60669267 Alfa 156 frame guard petrol 1997-2002 and 156 m.y. Bz/ds 2001-2005 brand new in the box (plastic)
Also part number 60622315 156 petrol 1997-2002 frame guard brand new.(plastic).
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.9 JTD

After the original one fell apart I didn't fit a new one, the result was that, probably from going over the numerous humps around these days, my bottom turbo hose wore through as did the bottom hose on the oil cooler. I bought one of the metal ones off e-bay for about 160 and no more problems. It only takes a few minutes to remove it for an oil filter and oil change so for me well worth it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , undertray