how do i change air filter - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Originally Posted by nugget View Post
is this for a 1.9 mjtd? as my air filter needs changing soon and national quoted 35... thought i'd be able to sort it out myself cheaper?
35 for someone to change filter for you? on any other car id go mad. but on the gt thats a bargin!

I ended up following the same process as list above (access from below, move fusebox and free off airbox) took ages!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Thanks for these instructions. All went well, but I found that it made life much easier to loosen the 'bar' which supports the radiator & airbox etc. With this lowered (one bolt completely out and one very loose, this gave enough clearance to remove the filter and fit the new one. I presume it would be just as easy to remove it altogether, but thought that if I did it might cause other issues. Nonetheless job done, so happy days!!! :-)
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Just did oil service,flush and air filter yesterday, thanks for an excellent guide with pics from superflyguy.

air filter has a ''knack'' and without the guide I think a lot of swearing and cursing may have ensued before phoning Loz at AL for advice!

all done in under 2 hours with oil and filters from eurocarparts for 40

oil snobs stop reading now..I used euros own triple qx 5w40 fully synth..this is actually very good oil,I know now several mechs that swear by it despite its price of 19.99 for 5 litres and I have used it in 3 different cars with very good results each time.

I figure at that price I can change the oil every 6k and look after the turbo.

and 40 fo a service well you can't argue with that...doing 30k a year I have to do as much myself as possible or it will just get very expensive.
AO Member
County: -
Air filter is terrible piece of design. Had to remove lower turbo/intercooler pipe and remove an earth wire from the gearbox mount (not seen this mentioned on other guides) as the airbox lid would not move past it. With all off, the filter ripped when I took it out because the gap was so small. Then when replaced I couldn't be completely sure that the filter is correctly seated. I don't like forcing components in this way and coan only think the it will end in early failure of the airbox/lid/hinges.
At 30k per year you are going to be pretty familiar with the underside of your car. At least you will know it's done correctly. Not failiar with the oil you are using but if it's the right spec then all should be ok with the more frequent changes being a good thing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

air , change , filter