156 Squeaky Wishbone Replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
156 Squeaky Wishbone Replacement

My wishbones have been creaking away since I got my 156, and now that the weather's improving I figure I might have a go at replacing them myself some time soon. I've not managed to ascertain whether it's the upper or lower arms yet, but am I right in thinking the upper ones go more frequently?

It's just occured to me though that shop4parts currently have the upper arms on offer at nearly £10 less than their usual price, so I thought I may as well order them now and do them when I can. Before I blow my money though - can someone please confirm for me that the upper wishbone arms - shop4parts numbers S4P490 and S4P491 - are indeed the parts including the bushes that would need replacing?

Thanks guys

My Flickr Photos | Leave late, drive fast
2002 147 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 156 2.5 V6 SP3 Q2 - Gone but not forgotten

For Sale - Pair of 156 headlights. PM if interested
Sponsored Links
Re: 156 Squeaky Wishbone Replacement

Had a similar prob with my 147 over the past few weeks and all I can to you is change the drop links first before any of the arms as they are cheaper and in my case were the cause of the creaking/squeeking.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: 156 Squeaky Wishbone Replacement

uppers do tend to go more often. inspect upper and lower and drop links, its fairly easy to spot where the most play is, and cracked rubber bushes are also easy enough to spot.

shop4parts is more expensive than your motorfactor, even with the discount. the wishbones on shop4parts are made by OCAP, not bad but not great either, i'd rather go to my motorfactor and get some QH branded wishbones for less money.

there was a good thread about OCAP on fiatforum a while ago but i cant find it, bascially OCAP lasted half as long as some other brands. the oem TRW branded wishbones seem to be the best, but they cost so much more it isnt the best option. that is why i would go for QH at your motorfactor.

i wonder how many people on AO still assume shop4parts supply oem gear, as their marketing material would lead you to believe. that is how they have justifed their higher prices in the past, but customer experience shows they do not supply oem parts.

Last edited by jug; 27-02-08 at 14:29.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , replacement , squeaky , wishbone