147 Suspension queries..and more! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
147 Suspension queries..and more!

Hi all,
New to AlfaOwner, and have just acquired a cheap (but nice) 147 2.0 Lusso (51 plate), however, (and I have owned an Alfa before) I have some of the usual little niggles, half of which I have ironed out...but there are some larger ones that I need help with... I am not a mechanic, but a pretty compentent DIYer and like a challenge!

(I will warn you in advance for the monster post! Sorry!! )

Basically here goes:
  • I have a little problem with the ride 'experience'! When I get to about 65mph I get a pronounced 'wobble' in the steering wheel. Now I need 4 new tyres, so am going to put it down to balancing, and I will get the tracking done as well, but I don't think that is all that is wrong.
  • I also get a sort of 'clunk' when on a bumpy (or pot-holed) surface, feels as if the steering wheel is 'dis-jointed' from the rest of the front end and does a very quick sort of shimmy/rattle (that's a dance move I hear)
  • In addition, the car seems to be very 'grabby' i.e. when I hit a groove or a bump (more so when braking) it feels as if 'it' is in control and jerks out of my hand (not quite as severe as it sounds)
  • ..also! I get the 'squeak' from what I think is the front left wheel, which I assume is like it was on my 156 and is the suspension bushes, or is it this wishbone thing that everybody keeps talking about? This is worse when cold, and is only noticeable on speed-bumps, but if it is like the 156 then it gets worse...
  • The last 'mechanical element' is at the rear. What I hear is a very feint 'warble', like a 'woob woob woob woob woob woob' (excuse the impression), and during a long trip to IKEA at the weekend, after half the way the back of the car started sqeaking or whining at low speeds....is this bearings? or bushes? I don't know the difference but have read plenty!

I am hoping that all these things are the same or at least inexpensive bits....I can't complain as I bought the car cheap, but just trying to figure what I need to do. I am tempted to have a go at the upper wishbone myself, and it looks like the lower droplink would be easy to do at the same time....if that is what is required!(?)

I do love the car - it sounds great, and for the same money I could have bought an Astra....so god i'm happy. I have a list of 'niggles' which I will list below in case anybody else would like to know more!!
  • Aerial snapped off in Car Wash (last owner!) - REPLACED 3 on Ebay - had to cut (with Dremel!) a 'screwdriver' groove in screw which was snapped off, and simply un-screwed!
  • Rear left seat bench upright rattles - does not click into place. Lubed with Silicone spray and clicked in
  • Both front windows keep cutting out, thought they just needed a bit of silicone spray - did this on Sunday by taking door card out on passenger side and is 150% better, although needs more!
  • Drivers door stay clicks twice - really annoying, when opening - sprayed, but no joy - read something about tightening two bolts? Does this work? If so, which two!!
  • Want to replace my 17" sport alloys with some 'SuperSport' ones - as mine are kerbed to buggery and I need 4x tyres anyway
  • Indicator stalk does not return to off after I turn left - slightly annoying...any ideas!!?
  • ...and I think finally......the gear lever has very little 'spring' to it when pushed left, i.e. is happy sitting more to the 1st/2nd side of the gate rather than the middle...any ideas???!!

Think that might do for now!!!! Any ideas on anything is greatly received. Had the car a week - just been playing, and doing a bit of touching up (and a bloody good valet) so am hoping I can sort these 'larger' bits....

Sorry for the post!!

2001 (51) Alfa 147 2.0 Lusso,
Gabianno Blue, Dark Blue Leather, what seems like electrical everything...and Bose. Fab.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: 147 Suspension queries..and more!

the following work should be done:

*new tyres: the treadwear indicators can create a fair bit of noise and 'woob woob' noises; highest quality you can afford
*wheel alignment: should sort out steering issues
*suspension bushes: like you say, probably accounts for any squeak/clunk
*tyre pressures: very important; perhaps 34-36psi at front, 30~32psi at rear

then see how the car goes.

AO Silver Member
County: Durham

look at the door check strap, on the door side there is a rubber cover, under it is 2 bolts, tighten them to stop the clicking.

Indicator stalk not returning to off after you turn left means you need to replace the cancelling mechanism, which is behind the steering wheel. this same part is also used for the airbag electrics. a scrapyard replacement is your best bet. make sure you disconnect your battery and wait 15mins before removing your airbag. dont reconnect battery until job is complee.

the gearstick centering issue is very common and easily fixed, do a search of previous threads, there are hundreds about this issue.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 26-02-08 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your replies. I will try a few bits first....and get them alloys and tyres i think....would look so much better.

The simple bits will sort out this weekend.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , queriesand , suspension