147 reflector HID kit - question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By _The_Editor_

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
147 reflector HID kit - question

Got a 147 pre-facelift . I've been trying out different bulbs, currently using Osram Silverstars. Great light,but i'm after the xenon effect. I've read about the H7R and H7C and also something about CANBUS headlights on 147 aka will throw an error with HID bulbs. The canbus thing, true or false? If true, how to fix it?
Anyways, my slight worry since i'll be ordering from eBay is fitment. I saw on a thread here that H7R bulbs sometimes don't clear the metal plate on the reflector on a 156, i'm interested how it is with the 147. Perhaps standard H7 HID bulbs fit on the 147? Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by tishobg; 4 Weeks Ago at 18:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Anyone?
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
No canbus errors for the headlights - you ought to be able to spot a blown headlight pretty easily, so you don't get a dash warning for these ones.. Hence no errors when fitting a HID kit.

Not heard of problems with fitment of the H7R's myself, and mine fit no problems in my GT.

H7R bulbs are designed for reflector housings (hence the R) - they have a metal shield attached to the bulb directly to severely reduce the amount of light that's scattered upwards that might otherwise cause dazzle to oncoming drivers... Other's run standard H7's and claim to not have any issues, but I chose H7R's just to be sure.

I would highly recommend getting a relay/harness at the same time to power the HID's directly from the battery rather than through the OEM loom... There are some reports of funny behavior after retrofitting HID's to the OEM fittings as they can draw a lot more current on start-up.

(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
No canbus errors for the headlights - you ought to be able to spot a blown headlight pretty easily, so you don't get a dash warning for these ones.. Hence no errors when fitting a HID kit.

Not heard of problems with fitment of the H7R's myself, and mine fit no problems in my GT.

H7R bulbs are designed for reflector housings (hence the R) - they have a metal shield attached to the bulb directly to severely reduce the amount of light that's scattered upwards that might otherwise cause dazzle to oncoming drivers... Other's run standard H7's and claim to not have any issues, but I chose H7R's just to be sure.

I would highly recommend getting a relay/harness at the same time to power the HID's directly from the battery rather than through the OEM loom... There are some reports of funny behavior after retrofitting HID's to the OEM fittings as they can draw a lot more current on start-up.
Glad to hear no canbus error-free kit is needed,given the increase in price. Browsing through eBay, I might try the H7 standard bulb and get it properly alligned. How's the light from the H7R's as i've read that while it dazzles oncoming traffic less, it produces less light as well?
Are you running 35W or 55W? So far ,i'm leaning for 35W simply because 55W might be just too much for oncoming traffic, but what's your position regarding it?
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Light level is OK.. Certainly doesn't blow the original halogen's out of the water mind... Route cause is the pants reflector design!

I've got a set of 35w lights, couldn't comment on the difference in light output verses the 55w however...

I do have another set of headlights, a set of Mini H1 Morimoto projectors, new ballasts etc. in the garage.. I'll get round to stripping them down and fitting a proper set of projectors soon.. Should be a big upgrade!
TOX1C likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Light level is OK.. Certainly doesn't blow the original halogen's out of the water mind... Route cause is the pants reflector design!

I've got a set of 35w lights, couldn't comment on the difference in light output verses the 55w however...

I do have another set of headlights, a set of Mini H1 Morimoto projectors, new ballasts etc. in the garage.. I'll get round to stripping them down and fitting a proper set of projectors soon.. Should be a big upgrade!
Proper HID projectors are indeed the best way to go about it. As it stands, i'm trying to go cheap ,hence the HID in reflector idea. Would it be awfully too much to ask for some pictures of your car with the HID kit,perhaps lit over a darker road and how they look on the car?
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Proper HID projectors are indeed the best way to go about it. As it stands, i'm trying to go cheap ,hence the HID in reflector idea. Would it be awfully too much to ask for some pictures of your car with the HID kit,perhaps lit over a darker road and how they look on the car?
you can buy great bixenon projector kits on aliexpress for 30 usd. My friends have them and they are great. I've bought myself a set and will be fitting it this weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projector.jpg (50.1 KB, 15 views)
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
you can buy great bixenon projector kits on aliexpress for 30 usd. My friends have them and they are great. I've bought myself a set and will be fitting it this weekend
As a student ,I'd prefer not to spend more money. But hey, I just got a call for a job which might help me out with that.

Last edited by tishobg; 4 Weeks Ago at 17:16.
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I had H7R's fitted by the previous owner, standard FL headlamps. Didn't like them much. They were fairly bright and cool, and the beam control wasn't awful, but they overwhelmed the cruddy standard mainbeams and made them seem worse. I took out the HID kit and replaced them with Philips Extreme +130% bulbs. Which are not a lot dimmer, and the better beam control is more useful. Plus I installed the H1 versions of the same as main beams. The headlamps are really quite good now. I expect Osram Nightbreakers would be too.

Proper HID with projector conversions would be better, I'm sure, but I'd save your money and just use ordinary high-output halogens. Not problematic with MOT either, and legal, which HID just cannot be on these cars as there is no type approval.
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
I had H7R's fitted by the previous owner, standard FL headlamps. Didn't like them much. They were fairly bright and cool, and the beam control wasn't awful, but they overwhelmed the cruddy standard mainbeams and made them seem worse. I took out the HID kit and replaced them with Philips Extreme +130% bulbs. Which are not a lot dimmer, and the better beam control is more useful. Plus I installed the H1 versions of the same as main beams. The headlamps are really quite good now. I expect Osram Nightbreakers would be too.

Proper HID with projector conversions would be better, I'm sure, but I'd save your money and just use ordinary high-output halogens. Not problematic with MOT either, and legal, which HID just cannot be on these cars as there is no type approval.
I'm currently using Osram Silverstars +60% bulbs on my dipped beams. Standard H7 bulb on main. They were decently priced and the light output is superior to a standard bulb. Despite their good light output,it's yellow-ish and I'd like to eliminate that. Having in mind the Azzuro Gabbiano color of my 147 ,a nice white/blue light, 5000K for example, will look amazing.
A cheap eBay kit will come to around 40USD ,add 15USD for labour and that'll do me proper HID with projectors. No laws here regarding headlights.
I appreciate the high output halogen suggestion, but I don't really fancy them because of their shortened lifespan + their price in Bulgaria is atrocious. 40USD for those Philips bulbs you suggested. I might as well go HID projector for 15USD more.
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Definitely go for projector
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

I've just installed mine yesterday, look at the difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170430_082420.jpg (72.0 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
I've just installed mine yesterday, look at the difference
Those do look great . We'll see, I'll most likely follow your example and go projector.
I have a question though. For those of you that run HIDs in reflector housing, how do you tackle mounting the bulb ? how does the retaining clip go on or is there some special adapters? I imagine you run first the cables through the retaining clip ,then place bulb, clip it?

Last edited by tishobg; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:39.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

I removed the clip, placed the bulb, then fought the clip back into place over the wires.

It's fiddly as ******... Would be interested to hear if anyone figures out an easier way of getting it done!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , hid , kit , question , reflector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page