Shock refurb - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dorset
Shock refurb

Hi, does anyone know of any companies that can refurbish a shock absorber? Maybe a silly question as we tend to throw everything away these days but just thinking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Some dampers can be rebuilt, depends on what's wrong with them. I had a Bilstein front damper on my 156 leak it's oil out the top and it could have been rebuilt fairly cheaply if just the seals needed replacing. But it had done some miles and the shaft was worn too so that made it expensive. I got a new pair for the same price as the rebuilding the pair and fitted them.

The Bilstein agent here in NZ did the work.
sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Bilstein refurb their dampers but from memory it doesn't work out to be particularly cost effective. I think at the time they wanted something like 80 + vat to service a B6 (extra if painting/powder coating was required).
I suspect most of the decent coilover manufacturers refurb as well although I don't know costs

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
If its just a standard one, then cheaper to just replace them. Daft as it sounds, but they can just pump them out on a robotised production line for peanuts, stripping one down, cleaning it up, assessing it, replacing components and rebuilding would all need to be done by hand and that would make it more expensive than just getting a new one.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 21-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
If its just a standard one, then cheaper to just replace them. Daft as it sounds, but they can just pump them out on a robotised production line for peanuts, stripping one down, cleaning it up, assessing it, replacing components and rebuilding would all need to be done by hand and that would make it more expensive than just getting a new one.
B12 kit. Going on the 156, getting it ready for its big op!

Found bilstein Leicester do refurb and testing so if I like them will buy and send there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
refurb , shock

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page