Motor Control System Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Not Happy Motor Control System Failure

Wonder if anyone can help me! I have just been driving back to work when my car lost all power and the MCSF warning came on. Luckily I managed to pull over to the side of the road but the car will not start - starter motor is turning but its not firing. Has anyone any ideas? I read the posts about checking the battery but not sure how a battery can suddenly fail when I am driving it
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Brera S

Re: Motor Control System Failure

If the battery is old/crap then it won't charge,it will just keep on losing power until its less than the required 12v's.The problem seems to be a fluctuaiton in the voltage which then triggers the MCSF.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Flywheel position sensor? Only a guess.:
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

if the starter motor was turning at the usual speed then crank sensor is most likely (aka flywheel sensor, timing sensor, tdc sensor). check for a spark; no spark on all plugs = dead crank sensor
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hmmm - the garage have just been out and say its my cambelt! Aaaaargh! Does that sound right?
AO Member

Member car:

SOON 2B A GT 3.2

is the engine spinning over at the normal speed or is it spinning over very fast with perhaps a whizzing sound,if it is the latter it could well be the cambelt. I have just read your other post and with mine and my friends experience with Alfas (we have quite a lot) I have not come across one that has not bent the valves also I have not come across one that has damaged the bottom end or pistons to that matter unless it was been thrashed at the time. If in Scarborough your best indie garage of any stature would be BLS Lincoln. Very well experience 25 odd years road / race prep honest straight forward people. They charge a proper price to do a proper job. Good luck.
PS Most friends of mine some are trade said expect £1200 approx inc vat for broken belt repair. Alfa recon head are approx £400-£500
cambelt tens/idler £70-80, variator £80.00 gasket set £90.00, oils filters,antifreeze £35.00, headbolts £30.00 plus days labour 8 hours £45-£70 per hour. Rebuilding your head could be an option may save money on parts but head would need skimming relevant valves replaced,guides etc but labour would jump up in price. Ring round some good indie garages and get an idea of pricing and advice most will help.Get your facts as straight as possible before you move your car to another garage as you may jump from fat to fire. Also the advice to try a new cambelt and re time the engine may sound a good idea but garage will charge approx 2-3 hours labour or you could see if the garage has a scope to look down the plug holes to view damage. Ring those indies tomorrow. Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , failure , motor , system