front drop links - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 16-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

front drop links

Do front drop links need to be replaced in pairs? I have a single spare Meyle type available but the other side is standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

No
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
You can get them reasonably cheap on eBay, single or pairs.

(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 17-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmerydolmeo View Post
You can get them reasonably cheap on eBay, single or pairs.
Thanks for reply. I am just about to start removal/replacement.
Please see my reply re STR's!
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 18-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino164 View Post
Thanks for reply. I am just about to start removal/replacement.
Please see my reply re STR's!
Thanks for all replies. I am about to re-assemble and need to know best method for keeping the wheel under load in order to tighten all/some of the nuts.

Also, can anyone confirm the tightening torques please?

Thanks in advance
AO Silver Member

From memory, at the front the only bolts that need to be done up with the suspension at normal ride height are the ones at the bottom of the forks to the bush in the lower wishbone. This one I just drop the car back onto it's wheels and tighten the bolt then. Access is easy.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for all replies. I am about to re-assemble and need to know best method for keeping the wheel under load in order to tighten all/some of the nuts.

Also, can anyone confirm the tightening torques please?

Thanks in advance
Put a trolley jack under the hub and elevate until spring compresses and almost lifts off axle stand.
(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 20-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

I've stopped the re-assembly as I found that the new TRW upper wishbone (and I found nothing wrong with the removed upper wishbone and drop link...) spins freely around the bolt attaching it to the mounting bracket. Is this normal? The removed wishbone was very tight against the bracket and needed some force to turn it.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I've stopped the re-assembly as I found that the new TRW upper wishbone (and I found nothing wrong with the removed upper wishbone and drop link...) spins freely around the bolt attaching it to the mounting bracket. Is this normal? The removed wishbone was very tight against the bracket and needed some force to turn it.
You need to put an Allen key in the end, just like with drop links. The ball joint will spin and spin. I presume that's the bit you're talking about?
AO Silver Member

I think Dino means the connection through the bushes, to the top mount casting.

Is the long bolt done up tight?
(Post Link) post #11 of 18 Old 21-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
I think Dino means the connection through the bushes, to the top mount casting.

Is the long bolt done up tight?
Yes, connection through the bushes. No, it is still loose. Is that the reason why it spins?
AO Silver Member

Yes. Torque up the bolt and you will see.
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 21-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
Yes. Torque up the bolt and you will see.
Your reply gave me a lot of confidence until upon re-assembly of the new upper wishbone I somehow managed to wedge the spring onto the wishbone..........hours later I managed to disentangle them but it was too late to complete reassembly......I wouldn't mind I suppose, given that it is my first diy attempt but I didn't find any play in the ball joints of either upper wishbone or drop link.......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Why did you change the upper wishbone in the first place ? Knocking from the front ?

It's normally the rubber bushes that wear out rather than the ball joint. Shows up as play at the front wheel when rocked top to bottom or if you just grab the ball joint end and shove it about it should feel completely solid, no movement at all.
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 22-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
Why did you change the upper wishbone in the first place ? Knocking from the front ?

It's normally the rubber bushes that wear out rather than the ball joint. Shows up as play at the front wheel when rocked top to bottom or if you just grab the ball joint end and shove it about it should feel completely solid, no movement at all.
Yes, severe knocking from the front passenger wheel but when I tried my own checks for wear I couldn't find any movement anywhere. It was diagnosed by an Alfa engineer who suggested it was the upper wishbone and possibly drop link as well. My fear now is of course that it will be the dreaded ARB bushes....
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
In all my years of owning a 156 (18 years!) it was always the ball-joint except once. And that was down to poor quality bushes in a Delphi arm.
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 23-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 155, 33

Quote:
Your reply gave me a lot of confidence until upon re-assembly of the new upper wishbone I somehow managed to wedge the spring onto the wishbone..........hours later I managed to disentangle them but it was too late to complete reassembly......I wouldn't mind I suppose, given that it is my first diy attempt but I didn't find any play in the ball joints of either upper wishbone or drop link.......
Having tightened up the upper wishbone to 40 Nm I have just been told that I should not have done that until the wheel was re-fitted so that I would tighten under load. I had the impression that it was only the lower wishbone that this applied to............in any case I managed to loosen the bolt a little but remembered that it is a new nylock type and I don't want to destroy as I don't have another and I need to finish re-assembly by tonight.........................anybody....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

You are right, only the lower wishbone strut bush bolt needs to be tightened with weight on the wheel. This isn't true for the top wishbone thru bolt because the rubber bushes rotate freely around the inner metal sleeves, they aren't bonded so elastomeric overloading isn't possible. eLearn also doesn't mention any special procedure when tightening the top wishbone bolts.

Last edited by Alexie; 23-03-17 at 18:11.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
drop , front , links

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page