Hand Brake lever loose - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Hand Brake lever loose

Hi All,

Today while out for a spin I parked the 147 and tried to apply the hand brake, the level almost came away in my hand!!!!

I took off the gator around it and there appears to be nothing loose but I did tighten a bolt attached to the top of the cable and this has made it better but it still feels looser than normal, i.e. Normally it takes approx 5-6 clicks to be set but now it takes upwards of ten before it sets?

Any ideas where to start please?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Re: Hand Brake lever loose

Probably a broken cable. Take a look at the cables where they attach to the calipers - you'll probably find that one of them is not applying any force to the operating lever.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

Jack the back end up, put on axle stands (of course, safety first!) pull the hand brake up and see which wheel freely spins, at least then you'll know what side it is without stripping to much off the wrong one!!!!

Thanks for the reply guys, brought it to the dealer I bought it from this morning and one of the cables snapped to the rear right wheel, this evening other side snapped so without a hand brake for a few days until the dealer gets parts in to fix.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , hand , lever , loose