147 road test - gearbox? Urgent help!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 road test - gearbox? Urgent help!!

Hi everyone,

i've just test driven a 147 i am seriously considering purchasing.

It's my first drive of a 147 , this one being a 2001 1.6 Lusso.

I have a query regarding the gear change and would appreciate a quick response so i can make a decision this weekend. Firstly the gearbox felt surprisingly 'floppy' to me. Secondly i had some difficulty on occasion actually selecting gears, particularily third. It was OK when not rushed and at low revs, but anything quicker or hurried was a consistent problem.

Should this be????

My old 156 had a very easy and precise box, with no floppiness so i was a little surprised.

Cheers in anticipation.

Nice people drive Alfa's
Sponsored Links
County: West Lothian
Re: 147 road test - gearbox? Urgent help!!

When we got our 147, the gearchange on the test drive was OK, albeit a bit 'floppy' as you describe when compared with the box in my 156.

However, due to problems in getting the previous owner's personal reg number transferred off the car, it lay on the dealer's forecourt for nearly 6 weeks before we finally got to take it away.

The gearchange on the journey home was dire to say the least. When you got it to the 'neutral' position, it was anybody's guess where the next gear was. By the time you had located it on an upchange, the car had slowed down so much you had to change back down again anyway - much to the annoyance of the following traffic who couldn't get to grips with our surge then slow down then surge again progress.

By the time we reached home though (after a journey of some 50 miles), things seemed to be improving slightly and over the course of the next few days it really eased off until it was slipping through from one gear to the next with no problems.

It was off the road there for nearly 3 weeks (timing belt failure - another story in another thread!) and when we got it back, the old stiff gearchange was obvious again, but as before it eased off over a couple of days.

The floppyness is still there to a degree so I can only assume that it is a characteristic of the car, but it seems that the difficulty in finding gears must be down to something like the grease in the linkage joints solidifying over time when not exercised???

I might be completely off the track here but it's just my impression given our set of circumstances.
AO Member
County: Essex

I think you will find there is a bush that wears out on the gear shift, which causes the gear change to be difficult. My 147 suffers the same problem.

see this previous thread

Pics of 147 stiff gearbox problem fix. - Alfa Romeo Forum
AO Member

I have a 2002 147 2.0 TS Lusso with 15.5k on the clock and the gear change is smooth, precise, with no problems whatsoever changing gear. I would go as far as to say it’s the smoothest gearbox I have had in a car to date and I have previously driven VW’s (Golf and Polo).

Your experience sound somewhat odd, I would get it checked.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , gearbox , road , test , urgent