Fitting a new boot badge - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Fitting a new boot badge

Hi there, is there anybody in Sheffield who has fitted a boot badge on a 156 who can assist me please ? I would be very grateful, cheers !
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Re: Fitting a new boot badge

im not in sheff, but whats the problem?
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Re: Fitting a new boot badge

This is a guide I posted ages ago when replacing the boot badge on my first 156.

Pull off the carpet behind the boot panel.

Locate the pin that secures the badge to the inside of the tailgate.

Before going ANY further.

Stuff the tailgate full of that if bits fall you will be able to retrieve them (no chance otherwise).

Pull off the gold clip by sliding it sideways... the badge is now free!

Go to the badge side and tug on it until its off(being careful to catch the spring between the badge and the black base (on the outside of the tailgate).

Pull off the plastic O ring on the badge and transfer to the new badge (this is your watertight seal!)

Now... the trickier bits, before doing anything else you have to put that spring back in.

The best way I found to do this.. push a little bit of bluetack into the hole on the badge where the spring has to go...push the spring in (bluetack holds it in it wont keep popping out every 1 second).

Now put the badge into the tailgate, being careful to position the other end of the spring with a small flat head screwdriver.

Slowly move the screwdriver over the top of the spring and push into the small hole (tricky).

Now! maintain pressure on the top of the spring, because if you try to push the rest of the badge in without this pressure it will jump out of the hole!

With this pressure now on the spring, push as hard as you can on the badge...until it hits the screwdriver.

Pull the screwdriver out and swing the badge up (this allows the curly part of the spring to go into its proper position).

Now push the badge in as far as you can (extra force required due to rubber o ring).

Well done you now have the spring in!!.

Now the super tricky bit, re-attaching the back !

I found the best way to get access was to remove the cover from the back of the lock by pulling the metal rod out, sliding the gold clip across (this allows you to pull a cap off the back of the lock- aiding access!)

Use a long nose set of pliers through the clear circular clip and spring, then place the clip and spring over their respective places and then use your left hand to keep it in place.

Now with your right hand... get as good a position you can and slide the clip over (much easier said than done!!)

Reattach cap to the back of the lock and the rod.

Put carpet back on and job done !

Go treat yourself to a beer !!

BTW : Just the badge cost me about £21 inc vat from AR

Current Italian Cars:-
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS
Previous Italian Cars :-
2003 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa
2006 Alfa Brera 2.2 SV JTS
1999 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD
2001 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso
2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

badge , boot , fitting