Coolant leak on 156 2.0TS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Coolant leak on 156 2.0TS

At last oil change I noticed that coolant is leaking from the RHS of the engine just below the exhaust manifold. It allows small amounts of coolant to crystalise onto the block and oil filter as it drips. The loss from the system is very small, with only infrequent topup required.

It appears to be at the side of a water manifold in that place, but I can't work out how to tighten it or how it goes together. It could also be a head gasket leak, and I am hearing that head gaskets are failing on a lot of these cars.

I'm about to do the belts on the car for the second time (myself), and this would obviously be the time to do the head gasket.

Any suggestions as to what this leak could be and how to fix it?

Newcastle, Australia.
ALFA GT Sprint (stepnose), 1966, 1750
ALFA GT 3.2 Rosso Brunello/Grey Q2
ALFA75 TS Champagne/Grey - track car - Princess Alfina
ALFA156 TS Black/Tan
Sponsored Links
Re: Coolant leak on 156 2.0TS

If its a really tiny leak it is quite in order to try a proprietary leak sealant product such as Barrs leaks (or similar). To those who would shout in horror this has been common practice at main dealer level for cars such as Jaguar V12s where the costs of dismantling would be astronomic. You won't block any vital passages with this stuff, as we use it on modern central heating boilers with really tiny passages in some of the heat exchangers.

It might be advisable to get it pressure tested first to see just how big a leak you have, and tell you if the gasket is failing. There is the possibility it might be an internal water leak where water is getting past the gasket and into the cylinder, but as the losses are tiny this is less likely.

The only other advice is to keep monitoring it. A tiny loss can't do a lot of harm..water is one of the main products of combustion after all.

In the short term i'd put sealant in, clean off any residue on the block /oil filter and see if it resolves the problem and monitor it.

As to doing the head gasket at cambelt time. If you have a mechanic you can talk to and trust i'd discuss it with them and decide between you on the basis of how the situation looks. Its a difficult one to call really, as it could be something and it could be nothing.

AlfaLincs (my other suggestion was to stick a wodge of Kangaroo Poo on it......)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20ts , coolant , leak