Oil gauge Vs Thermostat - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

1.8 TS 156

Help Oil gauge Vs Thermostat

Is the centre console oil gauge usually a problem or is it more often a thermostat issue? Also what are the implications of fixing the problem. (i.e. is it one of those alfa only 500 bucks a pop a parts) just wanted to check before i dug out the console

problem is it sits at 50 and sometimes makes an effort to make 55 but never past. I am assuming this is a fault (given the guage moves most probably with the thermostat) as the engine surely couldnt be at that kind of temp?!!?

should probably mention its a 1.8 156 TS (2000)

Sponsored Links
Re: Oil gauge Vs Thermostat

The centre console temperature gauge is water temperature. It should sit at about 80-90 degrees C. If it isn't the thermostat is shot. A new one is only about £30 including the sensor! Get the sensor too as the old one will probably fall to bits if you try and remove it. Also, I have seen 2 156 thermostats where a previous owner has removed the internals because the radiator was stuffed and the thermostat mechanism helped it to overheat.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gauge , oil , thermostat