Climate Control noises? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Climate Control noises?

Hi everyone. I drive a 2002 Alfa 156. I have recently noticed some noises coming from the front passenger side air vent. It sounds something like a cd player trying unsuccessfully to find a track on a disc except much louder of course. These noises continue regardless of whether I turn on the Climate control compressor or not. The noise stops when I turn on the internal air recirculation. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? The functionality of the climate control system appears to be ok but the noise is really annoying!!

Any help much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

Re: Climate Control noises?

Sounds like the flaps adjusting themselves, could be that one of them is stuck. Does this happen in all vent positions (footwell, dash, windscreen)?
The flaps can be reset, I just can't remember how!
AO Member

Member car:

sounds similar to mine but it only does it first thing in the morning for 2 - 3 mins then fine. the noise seems to be coming from behind the dash where the clock is
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.9 JTD

My 156 53 plate Facelift (dual climate control) makes a similiar noise which I would describe a station clock ticking. (from both passenger and driver's side) Probably similiar to yours.

Mine is most noticeable when the car is stationary at traffic lights etc but often it does stop ticking voluntarily.

It doesn't tick when the controls are at either full cold or full hot.

Two Alfa indies I have been to seem to think it is the air flap stepper motors which are possibly faulty and it appears the problem is not uncommon.

I was quoted about £850 for removal of the dash and replacement of two motors. Opinion seemed to be that it was not possible to guarantee that the dash could be replaced without leaving any new squeaks / rattles which would be more irritating than the ticking noise!

So far I have decided to live with the ticking and after aprox. 3 mos it does not seem to bother me as much. If it does I turn the a/c off or put on full hot or cold with a low fan speed. In summer, if alone, I turn the a/c off and drive with the window down!

I would be interested to hear from any electonics expert on stepper motors if there is any way they can be cleaned / fixed in situ with perhaps electric friendly cleaning / lubricant spray. - Another theory was that the control unit was sending out signals which caused the flap motors to "stutter".

I haven't yet tried the internal air circulation unit being switched off - will do tomorrow.

I must say that despite the odd issues with Alfas I love mine to bits - and have actually cleared out the garage to keep her warm and dry!! I- if I could get her into the bedroom I would!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

climate , control , noises