Please help me identify the funny noises coming from my 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 TS

Please help me identify the funny noises coming from my 156

Right well, to reduce the number of threads I'd otherwise use, I've rolled four questions into one. Please can you help me? It's a 2000 156 2.0TS.

1. There is a squeeking noise coming from the left front wheel. The best way i can describe it is that it sounds like a mouse squeeking - very high pitched, could be rubber on rubber or maybe metal, I'm not sure. The important bit is though that it doesn't happen when on a straight and smooth road (as you would expect from a wheel bearing), but when going over bumps (when the suspension is "working") and when the steering wheel is being turned. The amount of squeeking is in direct relation to the bumpiness of the road or how much the steering wheel is being turned.

If it's any help, i can hear the dampers working on that side as well, sort of a gas noise, but i'm not sure if that's of any importance at all. Any ideas?

2. It seems to have developed a bit of a quiet squeel that increases as the revs rise. at first I thought it might be a clutch bearing as the sound disappears when I put my foot on the clutch, but I realised it makes the noise when the engine is revved in neutral as well. Squeeky belt perhaps?

3. Probably not in relation to either of the first two questions, but one off the front sidelights blew the other day, leaving the warning light on on the dash. It magically fixed itself. What the devil?

4. Last but not least, I experienced a funny thing happening when I started her the other day. It started and coughed a bit, then stalled. So i tried again. Started just fine, but as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator, it died. Tried again - any movement on the accelerator and it was fine, take my foot off and it died. Left it for five mins, came back and it worked completely normally and not a problem since. Suggestions?!

I'm sorry this is such a long post but I've been storing up my problems for a big one and this is it. Any help any of you can offer would be much appreciated as these issues are ruining my fun a bit - the squeeling engine is especially annoying. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Timmyk; 08-02-08 at 09:29. Reason: bad spelling
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

Re: Please help me identify the funny noises coming from my 156

1. Top wishbones tend to creak/squeek when worn out.

2. ? Sounds clutch related. Release bearing??? Someone will come along and diagnose.

3. Often a loose connection due to people not being able to pull them out cos of a broken tab. Tend to yank the wires to get them out.

4. Sorry, no idea.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , coming , funny , identify , noises