GT 3.2 - MOT advisory advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

Hmmm

My GT passed it's MOT yesterday but there are a few advisories I would like some advice on please

Brake disc worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened

Should I get these done now? They feel fine

Brake pipe slightly corroded

Same question as above

Exhaust has minor leak of gas (flexi worn)

I'm guessing the original will be a pain to get hold of. Any advice of what to get instead please? Are these a direct replacement for example and a worthy mod anyhow?

Scorpion Downpipe L/H - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Engine mounting deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (top mount)

Once again is there a need to change now and if so is this what I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO...8AAOSwNSxVETli

...is this the same part and worth the extra (and why so, if so) : -

Powerflex engine mount for the Alfa Romeo V6 / GTA / JTD Models

It also has an oil leak which I will get sorted when booked in for some/all of the above

and finally......I wouldn't mind a few subtle mods with the suspension, just to make it feel newer as such. Any suggestions please? Also is the short shifter from EB spares a decent mod?

Last edited by DNG.; 11-01-17 at 16:47.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Discs worn pitted or scored - assuming you have some pad left, go and do a few hard stops from 100. They will no longer be pitted or scored - if they are, change the lot. Technically "worn" can only be measured with a set of calipers - the thickness of the disk is the important but.

Brake pipe slightly corroded - where, wipe a bit of grease on it

Flexi - don't bother till it goes properly. You'll know when. Alfaholics for the win.

Engine mount - the dog bone - easiest one of the lot

Mtech short shifter on my GTA was 'orrible. Got rid.

Suspension - replace upper and lower arms unless done recently. They will pass MOTs all day and still be knackered. Powerflex the upper arms. At the back - new trailing arms, powerflex the hub bush. New rear transverse arms. 4 wheel alignment. What is it running in terms of shocks?
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

Thanks rxe. All very useful

Original shocks as far as I am aware. Annoyingly the previous owner didn't keep any receipts of work he had done :/

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

My local MOT place is odd about advisories, I think they like to hand them out to show they are paying attention. With my previous car (a Renault), for 2 years they gave me advisories on brake disc pitting etc for a couple of years. The next year I still hadn't changed them, no advisory, and the same the year after that. They did exactly the same with droplinks, advisories for 3 years, which was due to what looked like rusty marks around the tops. I never changed them as they worked fine and never got any worse. They gave up giving me advisories on those, and 7 years later I sold the car without having touched them and no advisories on their most recent MOT.

On my 147 they couldn't MOT it at short notice so I took it to another garage - where I got an advisory for a nick in the boot of the top swivel that was not admitting water. This was odd as it was fairly new (10k). When I looked a few days later, I could see from the marks in the road dirt that the MOT tester had been careless with his pry bar and levered against the boot, putting a nick in it... tw*t. I cleaned it and put a dollop of silicone sealant to protect it, for the rest of its miserably short life.

I'd wait til there is an obvious, detectable fault that needs fixing, and then fix it.

Last edited by halftone; 11-01-17 at 19:50.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

I will be selling the car so need to show i have done something with the advisories really. A pain but they will only be questioned by a prospective buyer no doubt

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
advice , advisory , mot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page