KKL Cable - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 43 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: -
KKL Cable

I can't get my cable to connect to the ecu. I am using multiecuscan and when i access the settings menu then go to interfaces and then scan for interfaces it comes back with this message (VagCom/KKL interface found at port COM3) so is that telling me the cable drivers are installed alright. when i try to connect using multiecuscan i get an error message saying com port 1 dos'nt exist. why is it trying to use com port 1. can somebody advise please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Have you (a)installed the latest drivers from the FTDI site, and (b)set up the port in Control Panel | Device Manager (c)told MES which port to use, in settings? The procedure is pp2-5 of the user manual pdf installed with MES or downloadable from Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

It doesn't 'just work' until after you've done this. Once you have, MES will automatically detect the interface and connect in the future.
(Post Link) post #3 of 43 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Thanks Halftone i have checked driver details in Device manager com port and it is supplied by winchiphead.com not sure if that is correct because it also says c:\windows\system32\Drivers\CH341S64.SYS not sure if that is correct. i have changed recieve and transmit settings in com port advanced settings i have also selected com port 3 in these settings. then i went into mes settings and into interfaces and selected com port 3. how do'es that sound to you

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I don't have KKL connected at present so can't easily check the driver as it isn't in Device Mangler unless plugged in. But the bit you were probably missing was setting the right COM port in MES settings. I'm pretty sure I made the same mistake when I set it up a year ago, and after I'd done that it all just worked (and has done ever since). So I suggest you just try it now, and only mess with drivers if you still have a problem - in which case install the FTDI latest, rather than the vendor-supplied one. But I think it should work.
(Post Link) post #5 of 43 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

wont get the chance to try it for a couple of days i will keep you posted when i do thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

From memory I think you have to change it to Com port 5, the details and instructions are on tbe multiscan site
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Actually I think you are right Jon156Veloce. I'm pretty sure (now you mentioned it) that I set my KKL interface to COM5 and my ELM127 to COM6, and MES scans when I start it and finds whichever is connected. I probably had to set those in Device Manager too, while each was connected, before running MES.
(Post Link) post #8 of 43 Old 14-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

I have tried com port 3 and comport 5 changed settings in device manager and in mes i am getting an differant error message now connection faile no responce from ecu check cable and com port. which i did. i am thinking although i have downloaded the latest drivers i am concerned they aren't installed properly
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

It didn't work with the vendor driver that you'd previously installed?

[EDIT: Are the FTDI drivers you installed CDM v2.12.10 WHQL Certified.exe ? (you may have a later version number that will be fine, 2.12.10 are from Jan 2016). You should run the .exe to install them. You'd then have to tell Windows to update the driver for the device via Dev Man. If you did anything else the new driver may not be in use).[/EDIT]

You might need to reboot after setting COM5 in Device Manager, before that takes effect.

If no good...

Delete the device in Device Mangler, allow Windows to uninstall the drivers if it offers, unplug the cable, reboot, install the new drivers again, then insert the cable -- in that order.

If it still doesn't work, you might need to repeat, but after unplugging the cable download and run the free version of Revouninstaller (Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily, Forced Uninstall, Leftovers Uninstaller, Portable Uninstaller) to uninstall vendor drivers and the new ones, making sure you allow Revo to remove all left-behind files and registry entries. Then reboot, install drivers again. Only then plug the KKL cable into the PC.

If that still doesn't work I'd suspect the cable itself has a problem.

Last edited by halftone; 14-01-17 at 13:56. Reason: Added missing info
(Post Link) post #10 of 43 Old 14-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

The file is CGM v 2.12.24 WHQL before your last post i uninstalled com port drivers deleated my downloaded drivers and unplugged cable. i then plugged the cable in and looked in device manager and everything is as it was before. so i downloaded the drivers again extracted them and went into setup it then runs setup says its making changes to my pc asks me if i want to install and it looks like it is installing the drivers but nothing changes. do you know what drivers i should be installing i have just tried 32 bit because 64 bit didnt work. i am using windows 10. anyway thanks for your responce i will give it a go later when i get my stress levels down a bit
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I am using CGM v 2.12.10 WHQL Certified on 64-bit Win7 Pro. If the installer isn't completing that doesn't sound right. Maybe Win10 doesn't like them as they're 3rd party. Are you installing with administrator privileges?
(Post Link) post #12 of 43 Old 16-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

No i'm hav'nt installed with Administrator privileges because i didn't have that option available. i am using windows 10 and i now have it finding the cable when i search for interfaces, but when i test it just says timed out. i think it connected to the ecu one time i'm not 100% sure because i was in one page and couldn't get to another, ie airbag (there wasn't an option to change page) but it was showing a fault on turbo flow and it has cleared that fault. I will have a play with it later and see how it goes after rebooting laptop and unplugging and reinserting the cable
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

156 SW 1.8

Apologies for a minor thread hijack, but I've just bought a KKL cable so this seemed like a sensible place to put this question. Is there any particular order to do stuff in when connecting to the car? I.e. do you connect the cable on both ends then open MES, or is it MES first then cable at laptop and then car or does it simple not matter? I didn't see anything in the user guide which covers it. Drivers etc are all installed, settings changed as per the user guide so hopefully it is good to go.
(Post Link) post #14 of 43 Old 16-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

There is a video on youtube and it shows somebody with the laptop running the software then he plugs the cable into the car then usb into the laptop then turns key to mar then selects connect in the software
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

156 Veloce

This might sound stupid, but are you trying to connect it up to the correct version of your car's ecu? I did that once and I got com port 5 error and cannot connect messages until I selected the correct ecu. Then it connected up fine, and has done ever since.
(Post Link) post #16 of 43 Old 17-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Not stupid at all. my car is an 03 156 1.9 JTD 16v diesel mjet. (dont know wether mjet makes any differance) in multiecuscan there is 156 02' 1.9 JTD 16v
Uner that menu there are two bosch edc 16 CF3/EOBD and EDC 16C39 CF4/EOBD
not sure which one is mine i have tinkered using both but cold well be that half the time i'm wasting my time.
I've been intouch with rare bear and he has advised that windows 10 can be a problem.
ive thrown out my old laptops so i'm on the look out for another cheap. although i have been told i might be able to run another version on windows through windows 10
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

The ECU should have an ID on it, if you know where it is. On the 147 16v JTD it's mounted to the inner wing facing the cambelt cover. The clue is the two large bundles of wire and connectors on the top edge. 156 may put it elsewhere, eg passenger footwell or bulkhead inside the engine bay.

Last edited by halftone; 17-01-17 at 14:06.
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdutts View Post
There is a video on youtube and it shows somebody with the laptop running the software then he plugs the cable into the car then usb into the laptop then turns key to mar then selects connect in the software
Ta for that, worked fine. Hope yours get sorted.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

If Windows 10 is the problem, Google finds this

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Docu...ndows%2010.pdf

Basically you do have to install the driver with Admin privileges. Right click on the installable exe and select 'Install as administrator'. BUT since you've previously installed you should probably uninstall before trying this.

Last edited by halftone; 17-01-17 at 14:16.
(Post Link) post #20 of 43 Old 17-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

When i right click on the setup executable link i dont get the Admin privileges menu
(Post Link) post #21 of 43 Old 17-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

i have downloaded to another app and have found run as administrater but its not installing serial controler but i'm getting closer
AO Silver Member

County: Skåne

Member car:

GTV-TB

Quote:
Thanks Halftone i have checked driver details in Device manager com port and it is supplied by winchiphead.com not sure if that is correct because it also says c:\windows\system32\Drivers\CH341S64.SYS not sure if that is correct. i have changed recieve and transmit settings in com port advanced settings i have also selected com port 3 in these settings. then i went into mes settings and into interfaces and selected com port 3. how do'es that sound to you
Your VagCom/KKL interface seems to use a CH34X chip as USB to serial UART converter and not an FT23X chip as USB to serial UART converter so FTDI drivers will not work on your KKL cabel, c:\windows\system32\Drivers\CH341S64.SYS points towards that you have a CH34X chip in your KKL cable.

A CH34X chip is often troublesome together with MES/AlfaOBD it is better to find a KKL cable with a FT23X chip (FTDI) when they work better.
(Post Link) post #23 of 43 Old 18-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-TB View Post
Your VagCom/KKL interface seems to use a CH34X chip as USB to serial UART converter and not an FT23X chip as USB to serial UART converter so FTDI drivers will not work on your KKL cabel, c:\windows\system32\Drivers\CH341S64.SYS points towards that you have a CH34X chip in your KKL cable.

A CH34X chip is often troublesome together with MES/AlfaOBD it is better to find a KKL cable with a FT23X chip (FTDI) when they work better.
Thanks for your reply very interesting. I am still not convinced the drivers are installing properly. I can find the cable when i select interfaces but get timed out when i do a test in MES. When i install the drivers it should load serial controllers aswell but it dos'nt. At the end of the day it might make no difference because of the reasons you have posted but before i splash out more money i have to try to get it installed properly
AO Silver Member

County: Skåne

Member car:

GTV-TB

If it's FTDI drivers you are trying to use .. try to use these CH340/341 drivers instead and see if they work better.

CH341SER.EXE????-??????????
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8

Quote:
Thanks for your reply very interesting. I am still not convinced the drivers are installing properly. I can find the cable when i select interfaces but get timed out when i do a test in MES. When i install the drivers it should load serial controllers aswell but it dos'nt. At the end of the day it might make no difference because of the reasons you have posted but before i splash out more money i have to try to get it installed properly
Just in case you can't get it working and need na alternative, I bought this one: KKL VAG COM Cable with pin switching Multiecuscan compatible | ScanTool-Direct - scantool-direct.co.uk
Only 12 and no problem at all with getting it to work on Windows 10, only setting change needed was the latency and then it worked no problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cable , kkl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page