JTD starting problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Etela-Suomen Laani
JTD starting problem

I have a problem with my JTD, sometimes it doesn't want to start. The starter motor is running ok but the engine won't catch. It might promise once in 4-5 tries and until last week it had always eventually started after perhaps 10-15 tries. When it did, it smoked badly immediately after start to stop smoking after a couple of seconds. Last week it refused to start altogether, had to tow it to the dealer. They could not find anything wrong with it. No faultcodes. Started after a nights rest in the workshop. The weather doesn't seems to be the cause of this since it has occured in the range between -5 to +28 C. It only happens when the engine is cold.

Any clues where to look? Potentiometer/throttlebody or something else?
Sponsored Links

Member car:

159 2.2jts

Re: JTD starting problem

don' know if it's any help but i had a similar problem with a merc diesel, took some churning over to get it started from cold but it was ok when warm, turned out to be a leaky injector when the seals warmed up there was no leak. alternativly it may be an imobilizer fault or perhaps someone else could shed some light. These are just a couple of ideas.

AO Member

Could be the coolant temp sensor (the ECU one if there are two in the JTD like the TS).

If the ECU thinks that the engine is always warm due to a sensor problem then it will struggle to start from cold. It will be underfueling.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

cold starting problems are almost always the crank sensor, and they never result in fault codes. it amazes me that a dealership tech could not diagnose that!
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Etela-Suomen Laani

So I guess we have the crank sensor option almost confirmed. The car stalled on the way home yesterday at 50 mph, nice. Good thing I wasn't on the motorway this time but on a b-road. Tried to start it again but it didn't even promise. Called a towtruck and while I waited for it 15 min later decided to check the cambelt was running so asked my wife to try to crank while I checked the belt, and guess what, it started immediately with the check engine light on. The dealer hasn't checked the car so I haven't the cause confirmed yet. I let you know when they have.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jtd , problem , starting