Rear brake caliper issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help Rear brake caliper issues

I've changed the front brakes and went to tackle the rear brakes. Having a bit of trouble pushing the offside caliper back. Ive got the tool to press and rotate at the same time. Now the problem im having is that i can push the piston in slightly but cannot rotate it at all. Whats the best course of action to release it? does loosening the bleed nipple make that much of a difference? Ive lifted the dust seal and the pison looks ok, ie no corrosion.

Any help would be great.

Last edited by leiper; 03-02-08 at 20:52.
Sponsored Links
Re: Rear brake caliper issues

Have you removed some brake fluid from the reservoir to give what is behind the piston somewhere to go when you wind it back ?

Come to that,are you trying to rotate it the right way? (and I don't know which way that is).
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

If it's the Sealey wind-back type, it will only turn one way and it should be the correct way. So assuming the piston hasn't come off the thread or the thread isn't damaged, it should go back.

If you are using one of those little blocks that fit on the end of a socket, then check you are turning the right way. It's a long time since I did mine, so I can't remember which way to turn ... sorry ... think it's clockwise.
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

yeah i think its clockwise too.

the bleed nipple makes a huge difference, its almost impossible to do unless you open the bleed nipple, and very bad for the proportioning valve if you dont.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , caliper , issues , rear