Sump Plug, yet another thread! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Sump Plug, yet another thread!

Was after a bit of advice. I am going to carry out an oil change on my 147. I have read the extensive threads on sum plugs!

Can anyone tell me what kind mine is supposed to be hex or torx? I have only had a quick shifty underneath and not done anything yet, but I reckon it looks fecked! Rounded off! Or am I wrong?

If it is I will just get a nut welded to it to remove the plug.

Your thoughts please................

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0745.JPG (88.3 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Re: Sump Plug, yet another thread!

1st buy a new plug and Dowty washer. Then try forcing a slightly over-size torx/allen key into the old one and see if it will undo. If not there is just enough material to use stilsons. Make sure you torque the new one to between 17 and 21 Nm.
AO Member
Re: Sump Plug, yet another thread!

I agree-good advice.I filed two flats on a stubborn one and then used large molegrips and a tube as an extension.I dreaded the sump thread being stripped but it worked.It was fine for several subsequent leak-free changes over the next 72000 miles after which I sold the car.Garages just don't seem to bother with torque wrenches.Following my last 147 dealer oil service,it took a setting of 90Nm(Alloy wheel bolt setting!) to undo it.I've always used an 8mm Allen bit on a 10mm socket,torqued to 20Nm as mentioned.The 8mm bit seems to be a loose fit,so I put a paper towel over the bit first and press it into the plug.I'm thinking I might try sawing 2cm off a good Allen key instead because a flat,square end makes for a closer fit.
I've just used Shop4parts for the first time (my Dealer had the Receivers in when I went for my Selenia Racing + bits.)I ordered 5 litres,oil filter and rear brake pads -£76.77 including postage.It arrived the next day.I am very impressed with their service.I don't know anywhere else where you can buy 5 litres, I always had to buy 3x2litre tins from Fiat/Alfa dealers so Shop4parts will be getting more business from me in future.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

plug , sump , thread