Mapping? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

If Re-Mapping is so good why don't Alfa Map it like that in the factory? I mean is there a reason why they don't? I assume they produce 1.9 JTD's to fall into a particular tax threshold, Is it the same for Mapping?
Sponsored Links
Awaiting Email Conf
County: Lake District
Re: Mapping?

They have to provide a conservative map as the same engine may be used in a hot country or cold country, it has to be able to run off different quality fuels and they have to take into consideration some owners don't have their cars serviced when they should. Also one persons idea of a good map may not be the same as anothers.
AO Silver Member
County: Powys
Re: Mapping?

One of the other things is that all car manufacturer's have to get their cars to pass stringent emission tests after huge mileages and have the figures to prove it. So they get a general map that will pass all mandatory requirements.
When a car is modified after it is sold there is no requirement for it to meet these stringent controls, except the mot, and as cars get older re maps may struggle here.
Also the car is mapped with a view to reliability, I have seen plenty of threads on here for blown turbos etc when a remapped diesel is taken beyond its safe working paremeters....
And a third reason is that sometimes people don't want or need crazy performance, the 1.9 jtd is put in a Fiat Punto at 75bhp, my old man has a Marea with 105bhp and I think it goes up to 150 ish in some Alfas, Alfa probably think if you want a faster diesel you will buy their 2.4, and if they got so much from the 1.9 who would do that ?

So to finish there is no one reason

Bright Yella Fiat Stilo 3dr 1.9 jasons tractor diesel Cruise, dz climate, n leather, so many toys now with 17" claws
Sadly the STILO is for sale, I've now got a Renault Master beavertail
I pop in here to have a look now and again-but don't know what to say
Written off in the prime of life...My Bella.
2.5 V6 SP3 156 Cosmos Blue, Black Momo leather, Carbon dash.Freeflow cat, pipercross filter,Smoked repeaters, Scuddetto centre grill, blacked out side grille bars.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT