Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
156 wiper motor fixed
I thought I'd share a happy story - my first succesful fix on my Alfa!
The front wipers on my 8 year old 156 started to struggle - not totally dead but the motor no longer had the power to move the blades very well. Then they totally stopped the other day. And yes of course it was raining - I'm in the UK after all!
So I thought I'd have a go at fixing it myself. First problem was getting the plastic cover off to access the motor - the little plastic clips that hold it down on the windscreen weren't going to come out without a fight and a couple broke - any tips for avoiding this in the future?
Anyway, the whole motor/linkage was refreshingly easy to remove, and the motor came away from the linkage easily enough. Someone on these forums suggested that the motor contacts probably just needed cleaning so I tried to get the top off the motor. One of the bolts was no problem, but the other was corroded solid. After an hour of failing to get it loose I got mad and sawed the head off the bolt, which did the trick!
There was quite a lot of corrosion within the casing, so I cleaned this out. The commutator contacts looked pretty tarnished so a bit of Brsso and fine sandpaper soon cleaned them up. The carbon brushes looked a bit worn but OK. After regreasing and reassembly I plugged it in and, amazingly, it worked! I fitted the linkage, put it back in the car and fitted the blades and it seems to work just fine - no problem moving the blades now. I think I got the position of the crank on the linkage one notch out - the wipers are just starting on the upstroke when parked (Note to self - remember to mark crank position next time), but at least I can drive in the reain again! The whole job would only have taken half an hour if it wasn't for the corroded bolt - and it saved £100 or so + labour for a new one. Now I'm hooked -it wasn't so scary to do the work after all! Next job - fix the electic window at the back...