I think my gearbox has gone..... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Gold Member
Re: I think my gearbox has gone.....

it's the same issue as the broken cambelt on TS engines !
Alfa suffered years of broken tensioners (Canadian built plastic crap !) but the damage done will not go away for years... everybody is worrying about the cambelt .. Alfa changed to chain driven distribution in the 159. The latest TS's have all steel tensioners, so that problem does not exist anymore.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 28 Old 06-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'd like to speak to the previous owner, but he's just moved to Russia, hence the reason for him selling the car !! Handy eh?

I'd need one hell of a long baseball bat to reach that far LOL

I don't think he knew anything about the gearbox problems cos he had just spent £1100 on the car getting the cambelt changed, new discs and pads all round and a full service before he sold it to me, plus I drove it around for a few weeks without any problems.

My garage has just phoned up our local Alfa dealer in Aberdeen and get this... It's £1004 + VAT for a reconditioned selespeed gearbox. That is just for the part too with no labour

It's sad to say, but I think I'm just going to cut my losses and sell the car as a non-runner for spares/repairs. It looks like its back to my dull and boring (but ultra reliable) Ford Focus.

If anyone is interested in parts etc drop me a pm. The engine is a low miler (60k) with full service history. I'll put the full spec and details in the for sale section !
AO Member
County: Berkshire

went to pick my 147 manual up from the garage the other day as it went for a service. There i was talking to the mechanic and he said that they had 3 selespeeds come in that week due to gearbox failure.

Last edited by jizzbee; 06-02-08 at 22:34.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT