How can I lower my front seats even more? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

How can I lower my front seats even more?

I think I'm not the only one that finds it a bit annoying, but I think the 159 seats are still to high at their lowest position. Is there a possibility to get them even more lowered?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Durham
Re: How can I lower my front seats even more?

you either modify the mounting brackets on the seat or you modify the floor pan where the breckets sit. i suggest you attack the brackets because you can replace them if you get it wrong. i'd chop the brackets off, cut a bit out, then weld them back on. its important that you use strong welds, but you also need ot make them look nice and paint over them, and you also need to make sure the drop is equal at each corner. not the easiest job the world.
AO Gold Member
Re: How can I lower my front seats even more?

Are they electric - these do sit a bit higher than the 'manual' ones in my old 159.
County: West Midlands
Just noticed this, has anyone come up with anything for the high drivers seats apart from cutting up the brackets on my RHD 159?

The annoying this is that the Passenger side on my manual seats seem to go lower than mine ! I doubt the brackets are interchangeable LH to RH side are they?

Also wonder if the position is lower for drivers on RHD cars?
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

i have looked into this extensively, at least with a 156. The manual ones MAY go lower, but i'm not sure on this one. All the electric ones go to the same height. Some people say the recaro's "feel" lower, but i've had people measure them from saddle to ceiling and they're all the same.

Jug, when i was doing my research i came across a post where I'm certain somebody did what you suggest and all they managed was a 13mm drop (or similar) because the seat starts to come into contact with the "bar" which is bolted to the shell. If you take the seat out and take a look you'll see what i mean - ensure you disconnect the battery for 30 minutes before attempting this as otherwise your airbag light will come on.

The only other option is nasty aftermarket OR you could buy a second hand seat and see if you can remove the height and slide mechanism and fashion something to bolt the seat direct to the floor pan - again I think clearance between seat bottom and floorpan here will be an issue so I'd do a visual check with the current seat in by sticking your head in the rear passenger footwell and taking a look, you won't be able to adjust the seat (except tilt) AND it's an MOT fail so you'll need to swap the seats out come MOT time.

Last edited by diddums100; 02-10-13 at 10:19.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

front , lower , seats