Tuning Boxes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Tuning Boxes

Anyone fitted a tuning box to the newer 2.4 engine (200bhp model)? If so, please let me know your thoughts. Would prefer to have a remap but not confident enough with alfa reliability in case I need to take it into the dealer for warranty work. Seen some on ebay for under £100, might be worth a gamble at that price?

Alfa Romeo 156 159 alle 1.9 2.4 jtd Chiptuning tuning on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 30-Jan-08 19:45:00 GMT)

Has some feedback but mainly german, is one for alfa romeo (Sehr schnelle Lieferung. Professionelle Abwicklung) which translates in Babel Fish to "Much supply snaps. Professional completion". What??????
Sponsored Links
Re: Tuning Boxes

Hi hardy. If you saw one cheap on ebay it was probably mine! I had one fitted to my 2.4 156 150 for about 6 months before I sold the car - just sold the tuning box on ebay for £63, although buyer has yet to send the money through. It may be back on ebay soon!
It worked on the 156 Ok. I don't think it gave anything like the claimed 30BHP extra, but it certainly did make a difference. It didn't seem to do any harm to the car. The tuning boxes are very simplistic. I think they just trick the diesel pump into puting more diesel in. It works OK - you do get a tiny bit more diesel smoke if you welly it, but not much. They claim to give better fuel economy, which I would question, mine went down by approx 2mpg. I can't see how they could improve efficiency by enriching the mixture.
I now have a 159 2.4 200BHP and I'm going to pay the extra and get it remapped. The dealers won't need to know, so not too bothered about that. I think it's worth doing the job properly on a car of this value.
I'm waiting to hear from someone whos has a remap on a 200BHP - I would like to know what effect it has on the dismal economy.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Re: Tuning Boxes

I bought a chip tuning box. My advice, save your pennies, a slight difference, helped to rev better but not really worth the outlay and I would say fuel economy was slightly worse not better.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

boxes , tuning