Creaky clutch pedal.... - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: West Midlands
So still no joy, tried WD40, Red copper grease, and silicone spray for rubber. Admittingly the noise seems less obvious but its still there.

I also managed to get a clear picture of my master cylinder... and as you will see... no rubber boot!

Here is another shot showing the rest of the cylinder...

As you can see I've caked pretty much the whole mechanism in grease...

I don't know what to do next, except replace the cylinder but I'm guessing this will be expensive
Sponsored Links
County: Nottinghamshire
This is the first time in over 16 months that i have been back on this forum having sold my Alfa GT V6 with a creaky clutch. i replaced everything twice except for the flywheel and the master cylinder, i was adamant it was the slave but this was changed three times.

Like many people on here have said its a case of spraying the bit where the metal rod goes into the bulk head, it can take time and it is difficult. I used the white grease stuff and it made the pedal much smoother and the creak was less noticeable.

But with the 159 be careful as the cruise control thingy is close to where you have been spraying.

I'm not sure what the cost would be to get it replaced, but give Lewis a call @ Alfa Tecnico and he might have seen this problem on a 159 before.
creaky clutch

I've had a 147 now for 5 years, and my master cylinder creaked, so I chnaged it. It still creaks. I learnt to live with it, but it does not cause a mechanical issue and doesn't mean the thing will break, as long as it isn't weeping fluid.
I have noticed tho that I think the creak is caused by the 'rod' maybe not being depressed in a totally true line, ie when activated it is slightly off centre to the direction of push.
If you feel you want to jiggle the master cylinder on it's mounting bolts this may help, but I found the awkward part is inside the engine bay getting access. As for the cruise control 'plunger' this can be CAREFULLY dismantled and the length changed by (if I recall) moving a circlip in a groove.

hope this helps

AO Silver Member
County: East Dunbartonshire
Chaps I suspect i have found the fix for the annoying clutch creak.

Undo the little clip that holds the rod from the master cylinder on to the pedal. Move said rod to one side and then:-

1- Insert thin rubber tap washer on the inside edge of the bar that connects the pedal to the master cylinder
2- Put lithium grease liberally on the part of the clutch pedal that goes into the master cylinder rod eye
3- Pack the inside of the hole on the master cylinder rod with lithium grease too
4- Lithium grease the two outer faces of master cylinder rod and re-attach to clutch pedal
5- On the outermost side under the wee clip you should have removed a small washer. This is too small and next to useless. Replace said washer with something of bigger diameter (apprrox 25-30mm) remembering to lightly grease the inner face too for good measure.
6- Now put the wee clip back in.

This should take no more than 10 mins tops and has worked for me having had a silent clutch pedal now for three weeks. It doesn't however cure the occasionally notchy travel but that is for another day. It is my opinion that the creak is caused by a bit of lateral movement of the slave cylinder where it attaches at the top of the clutch arm, which accentuates the wear. With the tap washer, the greasing and the bigger washer holding it together the whole assembly becomes more solid.

Hope you can decipher my ramblings, if not don't hesitate to ask. Hope this is of some help

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

AO Member
County: -
Great news , but for newbie like me (and foreign) , images would be nice if you can provide . I also have a creak sound on my clutch (147 JTD ).
AO Member
I have the 'notchy' feel in pedal travel, especially in town/slow moving traffic. When out on the open road and pegging it the pedal is fine. I am sure it comes from the release bearing and pressure plate diaphragm being worn... 95k+ miles on original clutch and dmf.
County: Shropshire

Member car:

alfa 147 jtd 16v

my 147 jtd had a creaky clutch pedal................ after a few searches on here i found the answer. i ended up removing the rubber seal behind the clutch pedal and spraying some grease down the metal rod that the seal protects.

problem solved............. no more annoying creaking.

obviously your problem maybe something completely different but its worth 2mins just to try.

AO Silver Member
County: East Dunbartonshire
I tried the above too - a few times, but creak kept returning. So far this is the quietest it has been since the clutch was replaced 18 months ago. Now for that notchy travel . . . . .

Dug this up on Eper if it helps decipher my explanation above. You can clearly see the hole that the master cylinder eye attaches to the top of the pedal. Pack this with grease. On the inside edge of this insert the thin rubber tap washer (greased too). Washer number 8 to be replaced with something bigger and it to greased on its facing edge.
Attached Images
File Type: png clutch assembly.png (9.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by StescoG66; 28-03-12 at 22:50.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , creaky , pedal