147 tyre wear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Madness 147 tyre wear

Hi folks,

I have a 147 '07 plate that has a few issues with tyre wear on the rear wheels. After the first 9500 miles the rear tyres were down to slicks, mainly on the inner tread. I took it to my local dealer they said it's just normal wear. I wasn't too convinced by this asked them if there could be a defect with the alignment/geometry but they insisted this was all normal. 2 new Goodyears went on the back and off I went. At 13000 miles I put the car in for a service, to be told on paying the bill that both rear tyres were nearly illegal again I didn't put new ones on this time. However they did offer a check on the geometry for more £££. Turned this down as well. I got the wheels looked at by a friend who runs a garage and he reckons the geometry is wrong on the rear wheels. then got some legal tyres put on to tide me over until the problem is sorted. After this I got in touch with the dealer and put all of this to them, particularly the fact I put the new tyres on at 9500 miles and the fact they were positive the geometry didn't need checking and after a long phone call, they offered to check it all out, at their expense, that plan was short lived when the changed their mind and said I had to pay for it. Due to work etc. I wasn't able to sort this issue but now I have some time on my hands, I want to sort it out. Now at 15000 miles, the car is on the third set of rear tyres, yet the front ones are the original. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated so that I can launch a case at both alfa and the dealer to sort out this problem without me having to pay any more.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Re: 147 tyre wear

I think your Dealer is blowing smoke up your exhaust...

I changed my rears at 45,000 miles and 4.5 years old only because I wanted to move to different brand on all 4 wheels. They still had much more tread on than the fronts which lasted me around 20,000 miles a pair.
Something is clearly wrong, I'm sure those much better qualified to advise you will be along soon!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire

Which dealer btw?

Sounds like something's out of whack, get a 4 wheel laser alignment done to see how badly and if you can get a report to beat your dealer over the head with you might even get some recompense.

Good luck

I have a 07 plate 147 on 17" rims i have done 12000 miles and the tyres front and rear are perfect, i think you have a problem with yours tbh
AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

I have a 2002 147, and used to change tires every +-40kkms.

Btw... need some 4 new tires.
AO Member

I got 22K out of my last pair of 17" rears. Tread was ok but one of the side walls as damaged (failed MOT) so changed both. Tread was only about 2/3 down so they should have gone around 30K. Fronts only tend to go 12 to 15K but that's about what I'd expect.
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Sounds like you need full laser alignment that will produce a 'Vehicle Alignment Report' followed by rear toe adjustment to manufacturer's spec.

AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

I'd say there's definitely a problem there! The rear Goodyears on mine are uniformly worn to 5mm after 14,800 miles. I'm not sure what the reasons were, as I've only just bought the car, but it had a rear hub bush replaced at 3,500 miles & rear track control arms at 10,800. Maybe some dealers are better than others...
AO Member

Our 147 on 17" has done 13K, mostly town miles and they still look pretty good but i've had issues with wheel alignment. I've noticed with the 147 that it doesn't take much to throw the wheels off balance - over zealous speed humps being a prime candidate.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , tyre , wear