Accelerator Pedal - 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Accelerator Pedal - 156

Hi All,

Apologies for my ignorance but I know next to nothing about cars, which probably isn't the best thing in the world if you own an Alfa Romeo.

Anyway, I had a little problem with my car and was just wondering if anyone else had experienced it.

When I went to start it today, as I pressed the accelerator, nothing happened. The clutch control in the car worked so I was able to get it back to my house at about 4kph. But the accelerator just seemed to have shut down.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong as I don't want to go to mechanic and get fleeced if the car is seriously clapped out. Kefu
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Re: Accelerator Pedal - 156

It sounds like the throttle cable has come off the back of the pedal. We had this once on a 145. If you look at the top of the pedal you might see what has happened and with a pair of pliers you should be able to get it back on. Good luck!
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

Unless it is a fly-by-wire throttle ... then you probably need it hooked up to a diagnostic system to check it. If it is a fly-by-wire throttle, it could be a potentiometer has failed or a connection has come loose.

But try a throttle reset first ... turn on ignition for 90 secs then turn off for 90 secs. The start car and leave it to idle for a few mins. BUT don't touch the throttle while doing this ....

Turn off, start again and see if it comes back to life.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Thanks for both of the replies.

I tried the throttle reset and that didn't work and had a look at the pedal and can't see any cables loose or anything like that.

Anyway, I have it booked into garage for Friday but if anyone has any other suggestions to save that eventuality, I'd be very grateful.

AO Platinum Member
County: Essex

It is fly by wire. I think you must have a connection problem.

AO Gold Member

Agreed - assuming it is a 147 we're talking about its fly-by-wire. There's a linkage off the throttle pedal that goes to a cylinder about 4" long - darned awkward to get at . This is connected to by a short cable to a plug, thence via the loom to the throttle body.

Check for the obvious electrical connections, but also make sure the mechanical linkage hasn't fallen off...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , accelerator , pedal