Long team lurker here- joined the forum about a year ago b4 the purchase of my 2001 156 Selespeed for reviews, pros / cons etc and based on good info available was able to make choice.
Have enjoyed a brilliant trouble free City Mode drive for a year since then
- until the weekend when the below warning lights came on
The yellow one fixed and the red one flashing.
The result being that I can only select gears 1 and 2 in manual mode only. The sodding hand-book isn't any help for self analysis- just saying refer to authorised specialists.
Having read some threads, have the following info':
1) When door opens, the pump kicks in - as it always has done.
2) The selespeed oil is at the correct level
3) The engine oil is at the correct level
4) The car has done 28K miles
5) 1 major service when bought by AA/Nationwide - previously Lex - or still is Lex, not sure.
Is there any other self analysis that I can do - before I take to dealers?
I live 3 miles south of Birmingham City Centre - I take it my nearest dealers are Guest Alfa Romeo in Knowle /Solihull some 15 miles away- any body used them? Or there any independents in the B'ham area?
How much does a diagnostic cost at one these places?
I can just see Dollars/Pounds being emptied into a bottomless drain !
Many thanks for amy help.
Oh My Gosh how thick am I !!!
- just reading a previous post on what colour the selespeed oil should be ie clear brown as opposed to milky / Baileys cream type colour - which means water has mixed with it - and I thought, I think mine was milky / white-ish - so I'll just go and check and then update the above post.
Because i'd taken a quick look under a street lamp yetsterday, I thought i't was milky - having now shone a torch in there and dipped my finger in - wait for it - I find it's a shiny plastic white disc and there is no oil on top of it. I know, I know, I don't deserve to drive this car, I think I need my eyes tested first and then my car !
Oh please please dear God. let it just be the lack of selespeed oil. I'll get some 2mrw - prob Halfords as that is only 2 mile away.
Do they stock Tutela CS Speed as listed in the handbook?
Will update if this works.
Would still like to know answers to above q for future reference in terms of diagnosis costs and if any good independent garages in B'ham / West Midlands area?