GT 147 plus 156 = GT? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 147 plus 156 = GT?

I'm hoping to return to Alfas as I need something fun but economical Alfa GT JTD. In the past I've owned a 146ti (fast but basic) 2 156 's (reliable suprisingly!), 2 147 (reliable but bouncy ride) and 1 166 (a great looking unreliable petrol eater!).

I love my Alfas but I'm no expert on cars and have been waiting a long time for the GT to get within my budget. A few questions;

Is 10k a reasonable price for a 50K 4 year old (no leather) from a dealer with FSH, cambelt change and good condition (I saw another post about a 7.5k one at auction!)

I read that the Gt is basically a 147/156 under the beautiful body. Can anyone tell if there are any differences or does it basically drive like a 147

How do you feel about the umphh of the diesel and its MPG. I'm not into remappes but I do like a bit of "go"

Sponsored Links
Re: GT 147 plus 156 = GT?

The stock diesel has loads and loads of oooomph. - you won't find any issues there. Quite honestly I don't understand why people want to remap - I know its cheap to achieve, but there will be extra wear later in the cars life and more to the the stock diesel not already fast enough at 130mph!! (it gets up to 120mph very very quickly but starts tailing off after that, but how many times do you get to do those crazy speeds?). Economy of my 147 is superb....high 40's on urban runs with 65mpg quite achievable on a long motorway run....beware though the supplementary heater takes ALOT of fuel in the winter months - way more than aircon IMO.

As far as drivability goes, it drives a bit like a cross....probably becuase the GT is about 50/50 on componants from the 147/156! -it drives very nice but its no sports car.
As for the price question....well £10k seems high to me, especially as my 147 is a little older and higher mileage than than that and I'd prolly only get £4.5 for mine (OK 147's go for less, but still....).

See what the other expert GT owners come back with.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Chilling Re: GT 147 plus 156 = GT?

I suppose the best way to find out what the drive is like is to drive one but it would alos be good to hear what "experts" think of the differences between Gt, 147 and 156 to drive.

AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Brera S

10k seems a fairly reasonable price for the JTD, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get one with leather for there or thereabouts. If you are going to pay 10k it has to be exactly as you want it ie. colour/engine/wheels etc. The 18" alloys look slightly better but make quite a dramatic difference on the ride quality (bumpier) and I'd go for the remap everytime and there isn't extra wear on the cars components - extra wear is mainly caused by 'erratic' or spirited driving and if youre going to do that you'll do it whether it's remapped or not.

If she said "it's me or the Alfa" would you miss her ?
AO Silver Member
County: -

Well, it may be derived from the 156/147 but in reality they drive and feel completely differently. I have a Gt and a 147 - they even have the same engine - and honestly, apart from looking at the dash there are few similarities.

I think what you can say about the Gt is that it is built with all the knowledge gained through 156/147 development and so what you get is a mature vehicle.

The Gt will benefit from a performance up-grade (I get annoyed knowing the 147 is faster) and you might want to look at products from Steinbauer amongst the others on offer.

"The Drivel Devil'

"On a scale of one to ten, with ten being a sensitive, new-age man and one being a chimp throwing faeces, I'd put you more towards the monkey axis"

- Lips

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 156