147 terrible ride - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
147 terrible ride

I've got a 7yr old 147 JTDm 16v with about 150 000km (about 94000miles) on the clock and the ride is really terrible especially from the front axle. Going over ridges is the worst. It crashes over them with quite a bit of thudding (not rattling) I know the engine mounts really need doing and it's booked in for those next week. My question is will a bad engine mount make the ride from the front worse?

If not where do I start looking. Do I need new shocks or suspension arms and bushes? The handling is pretty tidy but the ride is properly rotten. I'm spending a bit of money on the engine mounts and a leaking oil cooler so I don't really want to spend money on a full suspension refresh when I can get away with a few new components. The suspension doesn't rattle that I've noticed so I'm assuming that the bushes have some life left in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
What makes you think the engine mounts need replacing? The front suspension needs regular attention to avoid squeaks and knocks.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
Lots of clonking and knocking, clonking which accompanies drive take up, severe torque steer even though the alignment is right, lots of vibration (especially at idle) getting into the cabin.

I almost forgot the top engine stay looks all wrong. Both bolts are centered in their bushes. Instead they're pulled after from each other if that makes sense.

Last edited by alastpa; 18-10-16 at 07:16.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , ride , terrible