Heater Matrix - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
County: Kent

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Heater Matrix

Spent the afternoon grovelling in both front footwells trying to extract my leaking heater matrix. Finally got enough access to remove and replace this (I hope) but have not actually removed it completely yet.

Question is can a new matrix be purchased on it's own, i.e. without the whole climate control assembly of air ducting and electrical flaps etc? Or is my only option to get a salvage part and fit in the hope it will not leak in a year or two?

Anyone replaced their matix? Believe it is the same on the 156 and maybe others (?).

The part has a label with "52466960 C397" printed on it for identification.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
Alfaworkshop have a heater matrix listed for the 156 - Alfa Romeo 156 Air Conditioning

Doesn't match your part number (60779451), but looks like pretty much just the core and a few bits of surrounding duct rather than the full climate control system...
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
County: Kent

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Editor -thanks for the reply.

Even though it would fit I decided against the 156 part that AW are selling due to cost.

After a bit of research I turned up OEM options from sellers on both Ebay and internet. I have ordered the bare matrix/ heat exchanger from one of these sources ans hope to have it next week.

For anyone else facing a leaking heater matrix on theier 147 do not be put off by suggestions that the dasj and centre console have to come out. It is possible to remove the matrix itself with a little bit of effort and contortion in both front footwells! Plus the part is freely available t the moment for approx 65.....
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 3 Days Ago
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa, Peugeot

Looks like one of the easier matrices to change. Engine side is always fun if the hoses have never been off their spigots, there's a workshop hose tool ("radiator hose pick") which is sort of a hooked-back rounded point, once the clips are free you can use a tool like this to break the sealant's bond.

Inside, I'd guess console out, central controls out ought to just about give enough space. Removing column and dash pad would greatly aid access, but add time and cost (like airbag clips to replace). The screw right up hard against the firewall would be the hardest to find/release, either way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HVAC_Underside_Full_sml.jpg (85.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC_Underside_Noducts_sml.jpg (87.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC_Matrix_Exposed_sml.jpg (106.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC_Matrix_Removed_sml.jpg (93.7 KB, 3 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 156 , climatecontrol , heater , matrix