Air bag issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By prh993
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Angry Air bag issue

After being charged 50 for an auto electrician to come out to look at my recently purchased 300 156 2.4jtd sport wagon, to investigate the air bag warning light ... who informed me I'd best just scrap it it'd cost 1k to sort out.. there is apparently a fault code saying drivers side curtain air bag fault.. The 'auto electrician ' said it'd be because of water ingress from the sun roof dripping down the A pillar... whole headlining etc would have to come out would need re wiring etc. Etc.

This afternoon with this grim news in mind I've stripped one side of the trim headline etc. Seems the auto electrician was talking *********. The electrical contacts for the curtain bag I find are in the bloody boot, and there is no evidence of a drop of water anywhere.

So now i know where things are, and everything seems to be as it should be, how do I progress?

Do I need to buy myself a code reader to allow me to try to reset the dammed thing, as reading it seems 156's don't auto reset?
How do those delicate looking connectors separate I'd rather not use brute force.
I have switch cleaner etc.. any advice would be gratefully received.

I don't have much faith what I've been told by the 'expert' I'm not a particularly confident mechanic and hate electrics but will give most things a go. Or does anyone know anyone good in the Tamworth area?

Help would be appreciated

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Surrey

Member car:

156 jtd 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56gill View Post
After being charged 50 for an auto electrician to come out to look at my recently purchased 300 156 2.4jtd sport wagon, to investigate the air bag warning light ... who informed me I'd best just scrap it it'd cost 1k to sort out.. there is apparently a fault code saying drivers side curtain air bag fault.. The 'auto electrician ' said it'd be because of water ingress from the sun roof dripping down the A pillar... whole headlining etc would have to come out would need re wiring etc. Etc.

This afternoon with this grim news in mind I've stripped one side of the trim headline etc. Seems the auto electrician was talking *********. The electrical contacts for the curtain bag I find are in the bloody boot, and there is no evidence of a drop of water anywhere.

So now i know where things are, and everything seems to be as it should be, how do I progress?

Do I need to buy myself a code reader to allow me to try to reset the dammed thing, as reading it seems 156's don't auto reset?
How do those delicate looking connectors separate I'd rather not use brute force.
I have switch cleaner etc.. any advice would be gratefully received.

I don't have much faith what I've been told by the 'expert' I'm not a particularly confident mechanic and hate electrics but will give most things a go. Or does anyone know anyone good in the Tamworth area?

Help would be appreciated

Paul
hi,

I had an air bag light problem and I read somwhere (probably here) about using cable ties on the connectors to make sure they are tight

I put them on all the connectors i could find, pulled them tight as possible and it cured it

Worth a go, only cost the price of some cable ties
Paul56gill likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
It will likely cost nothing to sort out. Loose connections under seats and right side of boot. Yellow plugs. If your car is pre facelift then you need a laptop, a cable and Fes software to reset light. This is annoying as your auto electrician obviously had the correct tools but was too lazy to investigate properly.
Paul56gill likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
It will likely cost nothing to sort out. Loose connections under seats and right side of boot. Yellow plugs. If your car is pre facelift then you need a laptop, a cable and Fes software to reset light. This is annoying as your auto electrician obviously had the correct tools but was too lazy to investigate properly.
Thanks for the response, It's just post facelift on an 03 plate. I assume all the air bag circuits are bright yellow?
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prh993 View Post
hi,

I had an air bag light problem and I read somwhere (probably here) about using cable ties on the connectors to make sure they are tight

I put them on all the connectors i could find, pulled them tight as possible and it cured it

Worth a go, only cost the price of some cable ties
Thanks for coming back to me...Ok cables ties it is , a good start point can't hurt just a bit more burrowing to find the connectors..
AO Member

So far as I've seen, there is a band of yellow electrical tape on the harness points of each airbag component.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
air , bag , issue