New purchase - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
New purchase

Just acquired a 55 plate 156 jtd m-jet16 valve sport. It's a 150 bhp I believe. It looks to be the same engine my 159 uses but the turbo set up is completely different. How interchangeable are the turbos? To be honest I'm not sure what to do with this 156. I did buy it to transplant its engine and box into mine, but it seems to drive far to good to send it to ***** heaven. Any ideas folks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
The turbo manifold is different,as is the turbo, engine head and block are the same, so theoretically a later turbo could go onto an earlier car with the later manifold. Not sure about turbo hoses routing but assuming the 156 has its IC in the same place for CF3 and CF4 then only turbo outlet to IC would be different, from IC out to engine inlet manifold would remain the same, vac hose to VNT actuator might need a little fettling though as the turbo will now be in a different position probably requiring the last section be replaced, I have a CF4 GT so can't be 100% sure of CF3 156 turbo outlet hose routing.

I Don't know if the later manifold is a straight bolt on to the block or whether the mounting bolts are in a different position, a look through eper may give you an answer to that question, basically the system is the same though , a Variable nozzle turbo controlled by vacuum and solenoid, bottom line if it mechanically fits it will work, TBH though as you are very likely to find CF3 156's being broken for spares I expect you will find a CF3 turbo cheap as chips and its almost certainly the easiest route.

if however you want to fit a later turbo and the mani is a bolt straight on, then oil change ,prime the oil feed and key on,should be a fairly straightforward operation.

I think I have a spare CF4 manifold in the garage so if it transpires a change of mani would faciliate the fitting of a later turbo you can have it. PM me if you want it.

hope this helps

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
double post...!!
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
The turbo manifold is different,as is the turbo, engine head and block are the same, so theoretically a later turbo could go onto an earlier car with the later manifold. Not sure about turbo hoses routing but assuming the 156 has its IC in the same place for CF3 and CF4 then only turbo outlet to IC would be different, from IC out to engine inlet manifold would remain the same, vac hose to VNT actuator might need a little fettling though as the turbo will now be in a different position probably requiring the last section be replaced, I have a CF4 GT so can't be 100% sure of CF3 156 turbo outlet hose routing.

I Don't know if the later manifold is a straight bolt on to the block or whether the mounting bolts are in a different position, a look through eper may give you an answer to that question, basically the system is the same though , a Variable nozzle turbo controlled by vacuum and solenoid, bottom line if it mechanically fits it will work, TBH though as you are very likely to find CF3 156's being broken for spares I expect you will find a CF3 turbo cheap as chips and its almost certainly the easiest route.

if however you want to fit a later turbo and the mani is a bolt straight on, then oil change ,prime the oil feed and key on,should be a fairly straightforward operation.

I think I have a spare CF4 manifold in the garage so if it transpires a change of mani would faciliate the fitting of a later turbo you can have it. PM me if you want it.

hope this helps
Cheers for the input and the offer Joey. Gonna take another look at it in morning and will let you know. I may take you up on the offer. Thanks again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
purchase