CF2 V6 Front pipe question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pilot90

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter

County: New Zealand
Garage
CF2 V6 Front pipe question

Hi guys I'm new to the site. Been reading for a while and found some really useful stuff which helped me decide to buy my first Alfa. It's a 2001 156 Q system in cosmo blue. I was really impressed by the way it drove and couldn't resist. I'd love a sportwagon with manual but they are not common here in NZ. I'm quite happy with the Q system though and don't really get why everyone hates on it but anyway.....

I was changing the oil today (glad I'd done some research), certainly was a bit tricky! While I was under there I was looking at the front pipes as I'm keen on getting some equal length ones made up and I noticed firstly, that the diameter of the rear bank pipe is smaller and even worse, that it's got a bloody great dent in the top of it! Though I've since found some images on google that indicate this crushed part is a design feature.

My first thought was that can't be very good for performance but the car does go quite well when the revs get up, just like an alfa should (Not so good at low revs but that's a post for another day) I'm sure many of you would have seen this before so I'm just wondering if anyone knows why it's like that. Is it because the rear bank pipe is shorter so the smaller diameter and the crushed part somehow evens the pressure or flow at the cataylst? And has anyone welded in a bigger, non-crushed pipe in it's place to see what happens? Any thoughts?
maxiboy wales likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

there is better manifolds and front pipes available ... look up Wizards pipes and supersprint designs. rate the wizard pipes highly for build and fit.

equal length front pipes are available too
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter

County: New Zealand
Garage
Yes i will be upgrading at some point. I suspect shipping of those branded items to NZ would be a bit too pricey for me to justify it. I'm mainly curious about the original design but by the sounds of it any change is for the better.
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot90 View Post
Yes i will be upgrading at some point. I suspect shipping of those branded items to NZ would be a bit too pricey for me to justify it. I'm mainly curious about the original design but by the sounds of it any change is for the better.
not sure as I run a CF3 with the manifold cats and upgraded to CF2's but as they fit poorly on CF3 cars i modded them too use CF3 front pipes and cant remember the crushed/reduced diameter section.

am designing something similar to supersprint manifolds as a one off for my car as these seem to be a decent well thought-out design though yet to see proof of anyone doing a back to backk test

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cf2 , front , pipe , question