GT Steering feedback/feel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
GT Steering feedback/feel

Not sure how to describe this. I have recently bought a GT 1.9JTD Cloverleaf, 2008.
When driving at town speeds, if the road surface is not perfect, not always but sometimes, you feel as if the steering wheel wants to turn to left or right, depending on road surface it feels like. It's not very strong feedback, you don't have to fight it, but you can't miss it. It also happens when you are off the accelerator and brakes whilst coasting.
At high speeds, all look normal, no vibrations at even 80-90 mph (not tested on UK roads obviously
Tyres are Pirelli Zero Rosso, newish, 2.5 bar front and 2.4 bar rear as recommended in owners manual.
As this is my first GT, not sure if this is normal, doesn't feel normal to me but not sure. Had a look at front end couldn't see anything obvious. Also I'd have thought that anything loose here would also cause high speed issues, right?
Any thoughts, does yours do it? If not what could be wrong?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Have a read through descriptions on the 'net of "tramlining" and see if this tallies with what you are experiencing.

That will help people point you at the right items to address.
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
Have a read through descriptions on the 'net of "tramlining" and see if this tallies with what you are experiencing.

That will help people point you at the right items to address.
Many thanks, tramlining, that was the term I was looking for
Looking on the net, it might be expected (18" wheels and all) but would still be good to hear from others.
AO Member

My 147 does it, and that's "only" wearing 16" wheels with SportContact 2 tyres. Suspect on the Alfa front end, it's a combination of slight misalignment and wear in the suspension.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I had that on 18" Pirelli's too...

Inner shoulder wear can feel absolutely terrible!
AO Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
I had that on 18" Pirelli's too...

Inner shoulder wear can feel absolutely terrible!
Yep, had same issue with Pirelli P Zero's on 18's. No problem with Assymetric's.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
My GT v6 on 18" wheels does this too. I just put it down to a characteristic. My suspension is all in great shape, although I suspect the dampers are due to be replaced soon.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
same here...

I avoid the inside lane as where the trucks have been its worse as the car wants to follow the indentations made by them, def worse on Pirelli, my Nexens were better and my current Toyo's better still...any slight misalignment will highlight it so I suggest you have a 4 wheel laser alignment done somewhere with a hunter system, should be around 30 an axle. also worth having the wheels balanced just in case, so 100 all in but well worth it to get the full potential mileage from your tyres.
AO Member

Same here, on some roads it wants to literally drive me off the road,lol, but its the bad roads here, I absolutely love this kind of feedback, its like I am part of the tyres. Pirelli PZERO 18"
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyD View Post
Yep, had same issue with Pirelli P Zero's on 18's. No problem with Assymetric's.
Went away with 4 new tyres and a Hunter System alignment for me also!

Rolling on EfficientGrip Performance tyres at the moment, still feeling nice and smooth.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
According to the fella who does my alignments tramlining can be reduced by setting a zero toe angle although this will probably increase tyre wear. You might want to ask to get it as neutral as possible within spec. As others have said it depends heavily on the type of tyre. My old Yokahamas were pretty bad but I'm happy with the Asymmetrics I have now.
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for all the replies. It was slightly concerning but now that I know it's more the design/character of the car than anything being wrong with it, I think I'll leave it and see if I get used to it. Don't want to spend money on alignment yet, everything feels sharp apart from tramlining and tyres seem to have even wear. I will drive the car for a bit longer and keep an eye on things. Thanks again for all the replies.
AO Member

A bit of tram lining is typical with 18" wheels. Don't see how suspension wear would affect this. My GT 3.2 does it a bit despite Powerflexed uppers, new lowers and Powerflexed ARB.

Similar but unrelated, how much torque steer do people get in their 3.2's? I've had a queef fitted and when I floor it in 2nd it sometimes veers so much I almost loose control! My near side front tyre is v close to legal limit, should the queef not reduce this?
AO Member

County: Bristol
Garage
Even with fresh tyres, correct(?) geometry and new droplinks, arms & shocks my GT can torque steer a lot! Especially on uneven road surfaces.

Overtaking at full throtle on B-roads can be a quite hairy experience, the steering wheel can violently jerk one way or another... Learned to respect its idiosynchrasies now and be more gentle with the loud pedal when the road surface is not perfect.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostaki View Post
Even with fresh tyres, correct(?) geometry and new droplinks, arms & shocks my GT can torque steer a lot! Especially on uneven road surfaces.

Overtaking at full throtle on B-roads can be a quite hairy experience, the steering wheel can violently jerk one way or another... Learned to respect its idiosynchrasies now and be more gentle with the loud pedal when the road surface is not perfect.
I take it you have a queef or q2?
AO Member

County: Bristol
Garage
No, nothing. Just original oem diff
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
I had P Zeros, the car was a nightmare for tramlining. Changed the tyres and it was so much better. I think others have also had the same issue.

Also, you may have a worn bush. Jack the car up to see if there is any movement on the wheel. Up down, left and right. That will also cause your issue.

Check the all tyres are the same..... A garage once put 225 on the left and a 215 on the right.
AO Member

A softening bush may not show during alignment procedures, but under load it will affect the front end geometry markedly.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint2gt View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It was slightly concerning but now that I know it's more the design/character of the car than anything being wrong with it, I think I'll leave it and see if I get used to it. Don't want to spend money on alignment yet, everything feels sharp apart from tramlining and tyres seem to have even wear. I will drive the car for a bit longer and keep an eye on things. Thanks again for all the replies.

At low town speeds tramlining should not really be noticed. Something is worn or loose and that's sorting, it will feel very twitchy on faster roads. It will be an easy fix that is for sure.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Mine (18" inch clovers) was pretty bad for that on Dunlop SP Sportmaxx tyres. Have since changed to Michellin Efficientgrip all round and its much better.
AO Silver Member

Another ex Pirelli P-Zero user here who suffered bad tramlining on 18's, especially when worn. Tracking also makes a big difference. I did not have anything like the same problems with Goodyear Assymetric 2's or my current PS3'S (which will be replaced with Assymetric 3's next week). I'm still on the standard diff too.

Hopefully a change of tyres and tracking will sort your issues.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
feedback or feel , steering