More smoke issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter

County: -
More smoke issues

Hi all. I have an Alfa gt 1.9 jtd. When I accelerate hard the plumes of smoke are very embarrassing. I have fully blanked off my egr valve but still just as bad. I have silicon hoses on the turbo/intercooler. Maf and map sensors have been swapped out and driven with maf unplugged and is no different. I'm running out of things to check. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't think I'm massively down on power but on hard acceleration when I leave a plume of smoke not much else happens speed wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

May sound like a silly question but have you had the EGR mapped out of the ECU?
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Small vacuum hoses to the vnt solenoid.

(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter

No egr not mapped out. Al hoses are fine. I've been told swirl flap leaks can cause smoke and also if the cam belt is a tooth out can also cause problems but I don't know enough to be able to determine whether the timing is out.
AO Silver Member

Confirm small hoses. Even if they look good swap them all for less than 10. Tiniest reduction in vacuum to the vnt solenoid causes loss of performance at low revs, smoke and no fault code.
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD M-Jet

Hi pal. Check your injectors are properly seated. I had smoke issues for a while until I replaced the copper washers. Cost about 4 for all 4
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1ehouse View Post
Hi pal. Check your injectors are properly seated. I had smoke issues for a while until I replaced the copper washers. Cost about 4 for all 4
I've has a leaking injector seal. Gets smelly in traffic and you can feel the draught from the injector passing when you hold your hand over it. A smaller leak could be found with soapy water. However, I don't think this will give you the symptoms described. Washer was indeed cheap but getting the old one out was a little battle. Considerably more difficult than say a spark plug or glow plug.
The vanes in the turbo sound stuck in low pitch. Check the vnt is operating.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 30-10-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
I've has a leaking injector seal. Gets smelly in traffic and you can feel the draught from the injector passing when you hold your hand over it. A smaller leak could be found with soapy water. However, I don't think this will give you the symptoms described. Washer was indeed cheap but getting the old one out was a little battle. Considerably more difficult than say a spark plug or glow plug.
The vanes in the turbo sound stuck in low pitch. Check the vnt is operating.
Quick update I've removed my swirl flaps and blanked them off, car now has no smoke but I feel the turbo isn't giving me 100% so I'm gonna take it off and give the vanes a good clean
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredgt View Post
Quick update I've removed my swirl flaps and blanked them off, car now has no smoke but I feel the turbo isn't giving me 100% so I'm gonna take it off and give the vanes a good clean
Probably a good idea. I had sticking vanes due to rust, not carbon, possibly because the car had stood for a few months. It's well worth buying a cheap Chinese vacuum pump off ebay for 10-15. That's really the only way to check smooth actuation and full movement of the lever. It should move proportionate to vacuum over the range 0-18 ins/Hg.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
issues , smoke

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page