Alfa GT - untimely suspension upgrade - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By sye
  • 1 Post By steve30300
  • 1 Post By dominic2115
  • 1 Post By a17esh
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Alfa GT - untimely suspension upgrade

Hello everyone
One of my shocks (front right) has gone bad so its time for a suspension upgrade. I kinda wanted to do this later, on my own accord, but it happened now... when I have to also buy winter tyres I should have seen it coming, after all the car is almost 10 years old and with the original shocks/springs.

So anyways long story short - I have a limited budget and cant go for the too fancy suspension and have to compromise a bit.

I have (almost) ordered Eibach pro kit springs (this one) and am wondering what shocks should I get.
Since my local garage has had a very bad experience with almost all of the Bilstein b6 they installed, and the Koni sports shocks are a bit pricey for me right now, they recommended me some KYB`s with fancy name that I forgot (a bit sportier, if someone recalls it please tell me). I decided to check what is available from the rest of EU as often the parts there are cheaper (I dont even know how that works). I found some lower end Koni`s - STR.T which fall down right in my price range and are pretty much the same price as the KYB`s I mentioned. I read all of the threads that mentioned them in this forum, but there were no concrete opinions of whether they were good of bad, except one very negative commend that 2 sets failed on 2 different cars which almost discouraged me.
So to summarize my choices are:
Eibach + KYB`s (front shock is about 80 quid, the back is about 100 I guess, so 360 in total)
Eibach + Koni STR.T (335 for the entire set of shock`s)
Probably a third option - Eibach + the fancy sport Koni`s but just in the front (till spring comes), but Im unsure whether this is advisable.

Any fedback will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Suspension is a very personal choice as everyone has different expectations. Given that the vast majority of spring and damper replacements are done when original components are passsed their best, I would think that the majority of people using their cars' as daily drivers (ie not track) would be happy with most Koni, Bilstein, Sachs type hardware. By definition, when new parts are replacing (very) old components there should be a decent step up noticed (especially if the car was second hand when purchased).
I have used Eibach and H&R springs and Bilstein and Koni dampers in the past and have found them all to be good products (although I did have an Eibach coil spring break on me once). In the UK, Koni offer a 'kit' where the STR.T 's supplied with H&R springs which could be a good option.

Good luck!
xen0s likes this.
AO Member

County: Kent-
Garage

Member car:

Gt JTD

I know I will get slated for this but try looking at a MTS Technik kit theres one on currently, for only 149 for the kit its exceptional value, I fitted a kit almost six months ago and have no issues with it at all, lowering the car 45mm does make look a 100% better, wear on the tyres hasn't increased from what i've seen and handling is exceptional.

Yes I know its not an A lister of suspension kits but lets be honest its for road use and you will never push your car beyond the use of normal suspension set up despite what some people will claim!!

Regards
xen0s likes this.

I'd rather walk than drive an Audi

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
AP suspension on mine, been fitted over a year and covered about 10k on them, no issues at all, lower the car nicely, ride is firmer but not too bad. Cost 369 for a complete set.
If you eBay search gnj_motorsport they are the sellers.
xen0s likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thanks for the suggestions guys I will certainly check and consider them. The prices are really alluring me when I consider my recent and upcomming expenses. My only concern is that they would lower the car too much, currently I target no more than 30mm reduced clearance. Actually that is the reason why I have put on hold the Eibach springs order - the description says they lower by 30mm, but the picture shows the red springs which usually lower by 50mm, and that would be too much for our glorious roads here.

And one more note - while the GT is my daily, I actually take it to the track from time to time to have some fun driving, so I guess I should take that into account as well. Altho, I dont see how any new suspension set would be worse than a 10 year old one
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
What do you want to get out of the car?

A stock upgrade. B4 shocks + Eibach or OEM springs.

If you can also change the upper and lower wishbones.
xen0s likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Pretty much everything in the suspension, besides shocks and springs is changed and in perfect condition.
What I want to get from the car, I guess lower it a bit (max 30mm) have it a bit stiffer to reduce body roll on tight corners, but not so much that my kidneys would hurt when going over a rougher road
I know about the bilstein kits, but the b4 and b6 have a bad reputation here - they basically rot out in a matter of 1-2 years. Maybe it was a bad batch or something, but its too discouraging.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0s View Post
Pretty much everything in the suspension, besides shocks and springs is changed and in perfect condition.
What I want to get from the car, I guess lower it a bit (max 30mm) have it a bit stiffer to reduce body roll on tight corners, but not so much that my kidneys would hurt when going over a rougher road
I know about the bilstein kits, but the b4 and b6 have a bad reputation here - they basically rot out in a matter of 1-2 years. Maybe it was a bad batch or something, but its too discouraging.
Put a bit of underseal on the cups when fitting. I have standard shocks with eibach pro springs. Mh original rear shocks lasted 12 years. Not bad.
xen0s likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thank you all for the tips. I just pulled the trigger on an Eibach ProKit and a set of Koni STR.T shocks. When they arrive and I get them installed I will come back with an update and pics.
sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Sounds good. Hope you like the final outcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , suspension , untimely , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page