The joys of selespeed! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Cry Like A Baby The joys of selespeed!

Hey everyone!

So0 i'am brand new to driving alfa and for the 2 weeks my 147 worked, i was in love! This car was smooth and just a happy little motor until one rainy night i drove the car after working my delivers... i was driving around 50/60 mph and the car started telling me a million problems were happening from headlight bulb faults to my brake fluid was low... I pulled over and hit my hazards which caused all of my cars lights from the brakes to the headlights to flash. Now this was a weird moment yes but many people have said they cant link this to the standing issue but its a little back story.

After all the above i parked the car back home and called it a night... next day i started the car nothing new or problematic until i put the car in first and it kicked it back out into neutral then i tried reverse and it kicked it back out into neutral... so i pushed it up two clicks to second and it held and it held so i could move forward but that was it/... no 3rd 4th 5th nothing! So i have checked gear box oil thats fine, checked all fuses there fine, check sele pump! that kicks in as i open door... i have a feeling its either a ecu problem or a actuator issue...

This is my first post so please bare with me and if you want anymore info im here to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Well, you have problems with Selespeed system, but it might not be Selespeed caused, looking at your other problems.
Selespeed will not cause bulbs to flash, or throw non-Selespeed errors on the dash.

Bad earth ? CANBUS problem ?
Have you checked your ECUs, are they seated properly ?
Try disconnecting the battery for a while, then connect it up again.

Also, Selespeed actuators very rarely fail. The rumor about failing Selespeeds and actuators comes from dealers who throw parts at a problem in order to fix something they do not understand.
AO Member

Where are you located?
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfisti View Post
Where are you located?
So i live in barrow in furness cumbria...
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannotstop View Post
Well, you have problems with Selespeed system, but it might not be Selespeed caused, looking at your other problems.
Selespeed will not cause bulbs to flash, or throw non-Selespeed errors on the dash.

Bad earth ? CANBUS problem ?
Have you checked your ECUs, are they seated properly ?
Try disconnecting the battery for a while, then connect it up again.

Also, Selespeed actuators very rarely fail. The rumor about failing Selespeeds and actuators comes from dealers who throw parts at a problem in order to fix something they do not understand.
hey cannotstop

I have had the battery off for 2 days and one night and sadly it never changed the cars mind... also had the battery on charge for one day and night... The bad earth aint a bad shout i will have a look.. But where would i start? Is it possible to get an air bubble in the actuator? also the canbus might be a way to go.. i do need to get my hands on alfadiag as i have the kkl cable ordered and on its way.... to dig deeper into all of this...
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
AlfaDiag is now called:
https://dnecudiag.codeplex.com/

But to be honest, for this problem, it would be better used to scan your regular system rather than Selespeed.
The reluctance to go into more that 1st and 2nd is a failsafe, a limp home mode, if you will.

I had a similar problem with my Selespeed, and it was solved by putting a new earth connection from the Selespeed system to the engine block.
However thatwas a Selespeed issue, here, going by the issues with lights etc. I would say the Selespeed is just following the faults from the rest of the car. All cars have history, so check for repaired wires in the engine bay, could be a botchjob somewhere.

2003 156 GTA Selespeed - Alfa Rosso + black multispokes, Eibach anti rollbars, Quaife ATB diff, 330mm brakes, Bilstein B12, De-cat wrapped manifolds + EQ downpipes + Ragazzon silencer, CDA intake, (carefully) removed interior & Sparco bucket seats + 6 point harness
AO Member

County: New South Wales
The first thing in solving problems is not to panic, then methodically reason through and research.
Previous advice should be listened to.
There is a positive connection block on the battery this also can cause trouble , lose connection and corrosion.
A secondary positive connection in a poor state could well be causing the intermittent fault
The fault you describe with the lights isn't caused by the Selespeed but by something else but is causing a raft of problems for you including your Selespeed not to work.

*When you open the door do you hear the Selespeed pump prime the system?
*Does the Selespeed have sufficient fluid?
This is the starting point. Without these two it won't work.

Then is there fresh oil leaking anywhere above the gearbox?
The main wiring harness has a big connector between the battery box and the airflow meter and the head , check this out by refitting.
There is also a ECU and relay in the passenger footwell, give them a light tap with a screwdriver handle.

As i said the starting point is the pump priming.

The majority of problems with the Selespeed are not as sinister as people would have you believe.

Last edited by Berridale; 05-10-16 at 13:54.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
joys , selespeed