Retrofit projector headlights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By LittleGTV
  • 1 Post By Hugh Myles
  • 1 Post By Simichi
  • 1 Post By Taranty
  • 1 Post By a17esh
  • 1 Post By Simichi
  • 2 Post By Simichi
  • 1 Post By Binji

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 04-10-16 Thread Starter
sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Retrofit projector headlights

Hi all
Wondered if anyone had experience of firms carrying out the projector style conversions to standard GT headlights? Have looked back through some old posts but there's nothing too current - looking for recommendations of companies with actual experience

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sye View Post
Hi all
Wondered if anyone had experience of firms carrying out the projector style conversions to standard GT headlights? Have looked back through some old posts but there's nothing too current - looking for recommendations of companies with actual experience

Thanks
Have a look here

https://www.retrofitlab.com/xenon-koplamp-database.html
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 04-10-16 Thread Starter
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Thanks mirlock
Yeah, had a look there. It's exactly what I'm after in terms of hardware but don't want to undertake the job myself. As the company is abroad it might work out expensive ..

AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

Check out the you tube videos for doing this. This is something I'd like to do soon as well. There are loads and loads of videos (none of the gt but the concept is still the same)
Are you planning on using your existing g lights or working on a second set??

If looking for someone else, isn't it Marky B who does a lot of work on lights??
sye likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

Yes, Marky B does them. Refurbed my factory xenons into brilliant bi-xenons, has done his own GT. Far better value and easier than the other options. You'll find him on the site here, or on facebook https://www.facebook.com/customlightz/
I completely recommend.
sye likes this.
AO Member

County: Saarland
Garage
Hi,
I have done this conversion to my Alfa Gt with Halogen headlights myself.
I bought the Kit from the Dutch shop retrofitlab and applied their video guide (can be found on youtube, exampled on Alfa 147)
It was a quite interesting project and "indirectly" well documented as the GT has exactly the same headlights as the pre-facelifted 147, except from the front glass. Interior with reflectors and exterior housing are the same.

For that reason I have done the conversion with pretty damaged and cheap 147 headlights (30 € together) and fitted the conversed reflector to my own Gt headlights. So I can change everything to factory if needed. The original parts were just disassembled but unmodified.

The conversion items themselfs may be no-name-stuff but still pretty good quality. The light distribution and brightness is awesome. It is absolutely competitive with modern (Golf 7, Mercedes..) headlights and way better than the 2004 states Alfa Xenons.
After initial setup and testing period for 3 days or so, no road user complained about getting blinded by my lights anymore.

I will post one or two pics from the conversion if wanted. The projector lense contributes much to the Gts front appearance. Without knowing why (at first glance) the car always looks more modern and aggressive but still not like tuned.

Regards
Michael
sye likes this.

Last edited by Simichi; 05-10-16 at 12:57.
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

@LittleGTV - I would ideally like to use a second set of lights, but 2x GT lights seem to get good money second hand. It might make the total cost too much. The You Tube videos are good, but I'm not confident enough to tackle it myself. I'm also not clear on things like 'how do you ensure the beam is level? ' as I don't want it to become a pain at MOT time..
@Hugh Myles - I don't think Marky B has been on here since June. I have also emailed 'customlightz' twice and had no reply. Consequently I'm not sure if he is still doing the work. I'm not on Facebook unfortunately but thanks for the recommendation and good to hear you're pleased with the work
@Simichi - Thanks for your post. The second hand light units you bought were good value and it would make sence to attempt the conversion using the Retrofitlab products you mention. How do you make sure beams are level and do not impact oncoming traffic?

Cheers
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

156 SW 1.8

Quote:
@Hugh Myles - I don't think Marky B has been on here since June. I have also emailed 'customlightz' twice and had no reply. Consequently I'm not sure if he is still doing the work. I'm not on Facebook unfortunately but thanks for the recommendation and good to hear you're pleased with the work
He's definitely still doing it, he's got my lights at the moment for conversion. He's very quick to reply to facebook messages and texts, so I suspect there may have been an issue with the email address. He's also just been on holiday which may explain it.
EDIT - I just text him to mention that you were trying to get hold of him, your email had gone into the junk folder, so he should be in touch soon.

For a small amount of extra money he can also do some clever stuff with relays so the standard high beams are only used to flash but otherwise full beam is handled by the shield moving on the projector unit. Looks like this (which is his car):

Lenses get refurbed and internals sprayed black as well if you want that done. I can PM his mobile if you want it?
sye likes this.

Last edited by Taranty; 05-10-16 at 14:31.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
There is a chap on Alfabook (facebook group) that can help.
sye likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Thank you Tananty / a17esh
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
@Simichi - Thanks for your post. The second hand light units you bought were good value and it would make sence to attempt the conversion using the Retrofitlab products you mention. How do you make sure beams are level and do not impact oncoming traffic?
The reflector has the same direction as the former Halogen beam if you screw it correctly, so there is no problem to level it right.

I have just tried the normal level of the Halogen beams. You can adjust it with the withe plastic screw on the headlight.
There is a rule for doing the rough adjustment: Park your car XX meters in front of a wall and adjust the light to a height of XX. You can easily find the rule somewhere, it may depend in accordance with your contry's law.

Regards
sye likes this.

Last edited by Simichi; 06-10-16 at 12:04.
AO Member

Garage
some pics attached.
It is not needed to disassemble the fender. It was a small rebuilt after a crash when I took the chance to do the xenon conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (39.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0294.jpg (30.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0290.jpg (76.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0291.jpg (114.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0292.jpg (46.0 KB, 21 views)
LittleGTV and sye like this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Thanks Simichi (liking the BBS too!)
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Yes, Marky B does them. Refurbed my factory xenons into brilliant bi-xenons, has done his own GT. Far better value and easier than the other options. You'll find him on the site here, or on facebook https://www.facebook.com/customlightz/
I completely recommend.
Marky B converted mine to black mask & projectors
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
Marky B converted mine to black mask & projectors
Happy with them? Any issues / things you'd have done differently?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Can anyone tell me whether you can still adjust the beam height manually with retrofitted projectors? Those from Marky B for example?
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 26-10-16 Thread Starter
sye
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Binji - MarkyB told me;

yes they can be manually adjusted using the existing adjustment screws on the headlight, the motors still work too to move them up and down inside the car

Hope that helps
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Excellent, thank you. It helps a lot
sye likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
headlights , projector , retrofit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page