156 V6 suspension replacement for increased comfort - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

There is definitely adjustment for the rear, toe is adjustable. You need proper 4 wheel tracking, your average mechanic won't have the gear for that. A good tyre company would. Google your area. Settings should be 0 front and I think 3 for the rear. Alfa sportpack setting.
Don't dismiss the shocks yet. They could still be a crap brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 58 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

A friend of mine who drives the same car with full stock configuration is going to give the measurements from wheel centre to wings, so we'll know if the lowering is excessive or not.

Here is the geometry report: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5X...ew?usp=sharing.
"Avant Gauche" = Front left
"Avant Droite" = Front right
"Arričre Gauche" = Rear left
"Arričre Droite" = Rear right
"Carrossage" = Camber
"Chasse" = Pull
"Para." stands for Parallčlisme (same word as English, obviously).

In the tables, "avant" stands for 'before [adjustment]' and "actuel" stands for 'after [adjustment]', while "zone correcte" lists the range of corrections which Alfa recommends for sport kit chassis.

They used a proper 4-wheels adjustment bench, but the tyre fitter told me that he was unable to act on the adjustment bolts enough to bring back the camber in the recommandation. He didn't found the camber bolts for the rear, so he hasn't touched anything here.
AO Platinum Member

Camber isn't adjustable.
The only adjustment is toe front & rear.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
After years of messing with Camber, I have found anything more negative then -1.40 causes inner wear.

I had mine at -1.35 toe set at 0.00 at the front and the tyres lasted as they should. Ensure they adjust the sub frame to centre to get equal camber, as David said it is not adjustable.
AO Platinum Member

On that French printout, "Para" is Toe.
So ok on the front, but rear toe needs looking at.
Could just be the adjuster bolts blocked up with years of dirt, but could also be bent linkages or the long bolt bent.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neocray View Post
So you have same measurements with Eibach -30 and FSDs than me without FSDs?
OK, that is puzzling…

And you don't have problems as I do?

Does someone know what is the stock height?

About the wheel alignment, the tyre fitter told me that there is no available adjustment in the rear. I'll make a scan of the adjusment report.

But there is adjustment at the rear.
(Post Link) post #32 of 58 Old 13-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Just to be sure, here is my check list:
- new dampers: Koni FSDs (do you know if I can find cheaper than Ł570?)
- check the springs to be sure, change for same model (Eibach -30 mm) if needed
- check sub frame at the front and linkages at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
After years of messing with Camber, I have found anything more negative then -1.40 causes inner wear.

I had mine at -1.35 toe set at 0.00 at the front and the tyres lasted as they should. Ensure they adjust the sub frame to centre to get equal camber, as David said it is not adjustable.
My tyre fitter said he wasn't able to bring back the camber under -2 because the adjuster bolts were already at max.

How should they adjust the sub frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
On that French printout, "Para" is Toe.
So ok on the front, but rear toe needs looking at.
Could just be the adjuster bolts blocked up with years of dirt, but could also be bent linkages or the long bolt bent.
All right, I will told him next time. The car will be checked by my mechanics next week anyway.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
My tyre fitter said he wasn't able to bring back the camber under -2 because the adjuster bolts were already at max.
Not sure what he is looking at, but there is no camber adjustment...
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Don't think you want to be fitting -30mm springs to FSD's. The pro kit is -15mm (I think) which is compatible with FSDs. Too low and the shocks will blow. - I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

Quote:
Don't think you want to be fitting -30mm springs to FSD's. The pro kit is -15mm (I think) which is compatible with FSDs. Too low and the shocks will blow. - I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
You might want to read the thread from the beginning.
(Post Link) post #37 of 58 Old 13-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Thanks a lot, that will be helpful.
You have already advised to check about the dirt problem, but somehow I missed it… Sorry about that.
I'll check with my mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Not sure what he is looking at, but there is no camber adjustment...
At the front, I am almost sure there is.

Quote:
Pro-kit is -30 mm and Sportline is -50 mm. I have no idea how -50 can be fitted safely, though.
It has been advised to go with -30 while fitting FSDs because of the higher spring support on the front dampers. (But Hugh, with Eibach -30 and FSDs, seems to have same height as me, although I am pretty sure not to have FSDs already.)
AO Silver Member

As standard, the only adjustment available on the front and rear of a 156 is toe. Camber is not adjustable.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
As standard, the only adjustment available on the front and rear of a 156 is toe. Camber is not adjustable.
Correct - only toe/tracking has any separate adjustment - although you can slacken the subframe and push it to the left or right to equalise out camber, if for example you have lots of negative on one side and close to zero on the other. Centralising the subframe equals out the camber. But you can't add negative camber to one side without reducing it on the other side.
(Post Link) post #40 of 58 Old 14-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
Hm, OK. So do you think the camber values (~-2°) are normal given that the car is lowered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Correct - only toe/tracking has any separate adjustment - although you can slacken the subframe and push it to the left or right to equalise out camber, if for example you have lots of negative on one side and close to zero on the other. Centralising the subframe equals out the camber. But you can't add negative camber to one side without reducing it on the other side.
That would be helpful as rear camber is not symmetric (left rear: -2°28" ; right rear: -1°43").

Also thanks Pud237, because I wanted to send you a MP but I'm still not allowed to it.
Hugh advised me to buy new rear top mounts for dampers and told me that you may be able to sell me a couple.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Hm, OK. So do you think the camber values (~-2°) are normal given that the car is lowered?

That would be helpful as rear camber is not symmetric (left rear: -2°28" ; right rear: -1°43").

Also thanks Pud237, because I wanted to send you a MP but I'm still not allowed to it.
Hugh advised me to buy new rear top mounts for dampers and told me that you may be able to sell me a couple.
-2 degrees at the front is about what you get with a lowered 156.

For the rear top mounts, have you got a saloon or SW model?
(Post Link) post #42 of 58 Old 14-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
-2 degrees at the front is about what you get with a lowered 156.
Hopefully, fitting FSDs will make the car slightly higher and therefore reduce the camber, right?

Quote:
For the rear top mounts, have you got a saloon or SW model?
It's a SW model from 11/2002. I can give you the chassis number if needed.
I am also looking for a couple other spare parts, especially a tricky one. Can you please give me an email to send you the list?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Hopefully, fitting FSDs will make the car slightly higher and therefore reduce the camber, right?

It's a SW model from 11/2002. I can give you the chassis number if needed.
I am also looking for a couple other spare parts, especially a tricky one. Can you please give me an email to send you the list?
Hopefully the FSDs will lift it a little, but I'm not 100% sure what the score is with the shock shoulder height on the FSDs. I've got FSDs & Eibach Pro springs on my 156 JTD and its sitting exactly where I would expect it to, front and rear. Just a touch lower than my GTA which is on FSDs & std GTA springs.

My email is my username on here at gmail dot com.
(Post Link) post #44 of 58 Old 16-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
Hopefully the FSDs will lift it a little, but I'm not 100% sure what the score is with the shock shoulder height on the FSDs. I've got FSDs & Eibach Pro springs on my 156 JTD and its sitting exactly where I would expect it to, front and rear. Just a touch lower than my GTA which is on FSDs & std GTA springs.
Well then, in your opinion is it better to stick with Eibach Pro -30 or to go back on OEM springs?

I'm actually a little worried to see that Hugh's 156, with Eibach Pro & FSDs, sits exactly at same height than mine with Eibach Pro & unknown dampers.

Quote:
My email is my username on here at gmail dot com.
Thanks, I'll touch you ASAP.
Pud237 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
I'll touch you ASAP.
Ooer
(Post Link) post #46 of 58 Old 16-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Ooer
I may have forgotten a few words. It's one recurring mistake and I don't always check. Too bad that it turns my sentence in a bad way this time.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Well then, in your opinion is it better to stick with Eibach Pro -30 or to go back on OEM springs?

I'm actually a little worried to see that Hugh's 156, with Eibach Pro & FSDs, sits exactly at same height than mine with Eibach Pro & unknown dampers.
I think FSDs & Eibach Pro works really well on a 156. Its only on the GT where I've noticed the front sits higher than it should do. Koni spec the same shocks and Eibach spec the same springs. I've not seen any measurements taken of a Koni shock and an OEM GT shock to say for sure this is exactly the cause of the front end being raised.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll touch you ASAP.
(Post Link) post #48 of 58 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
I think FSDs & Eibach Pro works really well on a 156. Its only on the GT where I've noticed the front sits higher than it should do. Koni spec the same shocks and Eibach spec the same springs. I've not seen any measurements taken of a Koni shock and an OEM GT shock to say for sure this is exactly the cause of the front end being raised.
Hmm OK.
I hope though that it will lift it sufficiently, or otherwise I'll have to refit OEM springs…

I have sent you an email, by the way.
(Post Link) post #49 of 58 Old 30-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Hi everyone.

Almost everything is ready to fit the FSDs but one thing.
The front dampers need to be set and there is 3 different springiness settings: +180°, +360° and +720°. I never read anything about this when I was doing research about the FSDs.
My mechanic is tempted to choose the intermediate (360°) setting, while I tend to considere the softest (180°).
Do you know what to do?

By the way, he had looking the subframe and it seems full of dirt and gravels, potentially interfering with the toe bolts, like some of you advised me about. He will take care of this when fitting the dampers.
(Post Link) post #50 of 58 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

I never heard of a stiffness setting on FSD's, mine were just fitted, interested in hearing what you find out. How do they adjust ? Is it possible to reset them when fitted to the car ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , suspension