I am back on the trail of my Selespeed problems.
I have the symptoms decsribed as follows.
1. Flashing gear indicator, usually in 1st or 2nd, but can be any thing up to 4th.
2. Runs fine for weeks on end then has issues.
3. Sometimes dumps you into Neutral and refuses to select a forward gear. Reverse is fine, and when selecting 1st afterwards you can hear it trying to select a gear and then giving up after 4 goes.
4. Has occaisionally dumped me out of gear whilst driving, such as driving up the road in 3rd, drops into Neutral and the engine revs because there is no resistance.
5. Pump sounds fine on opening the drivers door.
6. Battery has been checked and is fine.
7. When I am stranded by the side of the road in Neutral, persistent attempts to select 1st have occaisionally resulted in Selespeed fluid being dumped on the ground.
8. Also just after the problem, it decides to start selecting gears, but isn't really sure what it is doing, and the display cycles round the first 4 gears before randomly selecting one to start off in.
9. Also it doesn't quite know what gear it has now got and shows 4th when it feels more like 2nd.
I have searched the threads and found this one to be my closest match.
And so to the point of this.
Mangoletsi had the car three times to sort this issue out and eventually said, "lets have a look at the actuator because thats what we think it is, but won't guarantee that will fix it.". Which is very annoying for me cos if i am going to spend between £300-£1500 I want it fixed.
My theories to the fault are as follows, based on my limited mechanical knowledge (feel free to correct)
a) Actuator. The garage said it maybe this, but i am not so sure as it at least tries to select gears but just can't for some reason?
b) Pump. Is it only random because the pump pressure is dropping off then coming back? Also this is mentioned in the quoted thread.
c) Gear Selector Sensor. I only say that bacause the quoted thread descibes similar symptoms and found that to be the problem.
In the absence of deep pockets is there any definitive way of getting to the bottom of this????
R to the D