Max. engine Oil Temp. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 13Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 64 Old 30-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Max. engine Oil Temp.

Hello

On long trips I noticed my Engine Oil Temp. gets extremely high, most of the time so high it reaches Max. Engine Oil temp, I am using 10w60 synth. oil and the oil cooler seems to have access to incoming cool air, what can be done to bring it down and cool it more? I now always have to reduce speed until I am back at 120 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Hello

On long trips I noticed my Engine Oil Temp. gets extremely high, most of the time so high it reaches Max. Engine Oil temp, I am using 10w60 synth. oil and the oil cooler seems to have access to incoming cool air, what can be done to bring it down and cool it more? I now always have to reduce speed until I am back at 120 degrees.
Do all 5 bars light up on the dash?

Mine flicks between 2 and 3, with 3 being only when I'm stuck in traffic or giving it a little bit of stick.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
I've never seen more than 3 bars on the GTA either.

If its only the oil temp that goes up that high, not the water temperature at the same time, I'd say that points to a duff oil temperature sensor, not to actual overheating oil.
(Post Link) post #4 of 64 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

yes, all the way to 5 and the final warning Max. Engine Temp., this is in 6th gear crusing at about 180km/s

2-3 bars? that means 60-80 Degrees only...mine is normal 120 degrees
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
That's a very rapid cruising speed... 180 km/h = 112 mph (I'm assuming km/s was a typo, as I really don't think you're driving fast eough to get to the moon and back in 90 minutes!)..

So it seems you're working the engine hard under constant load.. and you're in a hot country (how hot is in in Egypt this time of year?)...

I'd be inclined to think it's a genuine overheating problem, and that if you want to drive that fast for long periods then you'll need additional oil cooling capacity...

(Post Link) post #6 of 64 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Egypt,lol no, no typo. Fast is 200km's +

It's annoying always driving 180 and then having to drive 120 to get cooling down.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
km/s is kilometers per second.

180 kilometers per second is the equivalent to over 400,000 miles per hour.

I can absolutely guarantee that you're not cruising about in 6th gear at over 500x the current world land speed record.
(Post Link) post #8 of 64 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

typo of course...enjoy the car but is getting too hot, maybe remove the black material under bonnet for more airflow?
AO Member

Increase your oil capacity, add a good quality aftermarket cooler. You will probably find a need for about 9-10 litres of oil in circulation, to drive at speed, in a hot country, with AC operating...

On behalf of the Australian road safety council, I need to advise you that any speed over 45 km/h is mortally dangerous.

More seriously, the heat load on your oil will shorten its life as "good" oil, too. Be generous with filter changes and the mileage intervals.
Aramis likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 64 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

45km/h? No way, what about all those nice backroads you guys have?
jwq
Club Member

County: Zuid Holland
maybe check that the oil cooling radiator cooling fins are clean, and airflow is unobstructed ?
Attached Images
File Type: png Knipsel.PNG (176.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by jwq; 01-10-16 at 10:18.
AO Member

I know nothing!

(But you don't have kangaroos).
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
I know nothing!

(But you don't have kangaroos).
they have crocodiles though
(Post Link) post #14 of 64 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

We have springbucks and all sorts of gazelles that come out of nowhere...and traffic cops in the desert
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Hello

No, just carry on until you blow the engine up. Take the insulation of the underside of the bonnet - no, take the bloody bonnet off. Actually why stop there, take the front grill of as well. 3.2 - thicker oil at higher revs, reduced efficiency of Oil pump - reduced lubrication - reduced oil film between bearings - increased heat - high temperature environment - poor cooling system and an oil cooler which is pathetic. Take your pick. My first port of call would be a reputable garage. As someone said, it appears indicative of real problems. But hey! Thats Alfa's fault for giving us instrumentation that no one seems willing to believe. Is it Gabbiano blue? Can I have your bumpers when it finally dies?
(Post Link) post #16 of 64 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
No, just carry on until you blow the engine up. Take the insulation of the underside of the bonnet - no, take the bloody bonnet off. Actually why stop there, take the front grill of as well. 3.2 - thicker oil at higher revs, reduced efficiency of Oil pump - reduced lubrication - reduced oil film between bearings - increased heat - high temperature environment - poor cooling system and an oil cooler which is pathetic. Take your pick. My first port of call would be a reputable garage. As someone said, it appears indicative of real problems. But hey! Thats Alfa's fault for giving us instrumentation that no one seems willing to believe. Is it Gabbiano blue? Can I have your bumpers when it finally dies?
hahaha. Unfortunately she only comes alive at 160km/h's, she loves it, was just looking for a more efficient means to cool her juices
sizewell likes this.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
You can probably get a double size oil cooler in there with the bumper off to give you access.

Make sure the existing cooler is actually getting hot, has the thermostat in the take off plate failed?
Aramis likes this.
Club Member

County: Cumbria
How long does it take for you to get 5 bars on the oil temp gauge, how many miles of driving?
AO Member

County: Sofia
If I'm not mistaken, these oil coolers have a thermostat, check if it's not stuck and oil won't flow through.
yiorgos and Aramis like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Now having learned that this "problem" crops up in Namibia (very often very hot), while driving at a sustained 180km/h for long periods of time, I am inclined to think that it is an actual overheating problem, not a dead sensor.

One thing I still wonder about is - doesn't the water temperature also go up?

PS: I would never buy that GT second hand.
AO Silver Member

Cruising at 180km/h in 35 deg heat or similar shouldn't result in any issue with oil temp. It's not high revs (only about 4500 or so?) and there's massive airflow for the cooler. It's the hill climb scenario that really gets the temp up, revving out to redline time and again in 2nd/3rd gear.
(Post Link) post #22 of 64 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
Cruising at 180km/h in 35 deg heat or similar shouldn't result in any issue with oil temp. It's not high revs (only about 4500 or so?) and there's massive airflow for the cooler. It's the hill climb scenario that really gets the temp up, revving out to redline time and again in 2nd/3rd gear.
That's what I mean, I get 5,400 rpm on 180 and the airflow is massive, even nice cool ocean air, outside temp. was 24 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
Now having learned that this "problem" crops up in Namibia (very often very hot), while driving at a sustained 180km/h for long periods of time, I am inclined to think that it is an actual overheating problem, not a dead sensor.

One thing I still wonder about is - doesn't the water temperature also go up?

PS: I would never buy that GT second hand.
LOL, Giorget2, you know you want it hahaha. Did you see how nicely I cleaned up the fuse box on top of the battery? You'd be proud of me.

No, the water temp. stays at 90, never goes over, ever. Normal crusing oil temp should be bar 4 or 120 degrees for optimal viscosity of the oil, right? Using 10W60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
How long does it take for you to get 5 bars on the oil temp gauge, how many miles of driving?
When it is at normal 120 degrees it takes maybe 2-3 km's to go to 140 and another 2-3 to get to max, then I decelerate to 120km'h's and it takes again 2-3 km's to drop back to 120 degrees so it is a constant concertina dance in terms of speed.
AO Member

County: Sofia
How do you calculate that 4 bar means 120C ?
(Post Link) post #24 of 64 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyle View Post
How do you calculate that 4 bar means 120C ?
It says so under the bars? 60 80 100 120 140
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
A) you could always try not driving like a complete t**t...

B) oil flow through the oil cooler is controlled by a thermostat in the oil filter mount on the back of the engine. This may be stuck shut. I'd run the engine up to temperature (3-5 bars on the display) and check the temperature of the oil cooler.
_The_Editor_ likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
engine , max , oil , temp