Max. engine Oil Temp. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 13Likes

(Post Link) post #51 of 64 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

Damn, just did the hand test and the oil cooler itself and pipes are cold, doesn't look like 120degree oil went through it, drove home, 4 bars, 120degrees on display. Where is this thermostat? Can I just give it a light tap to see if it opens? Oh Lord no....its on the oil filter bracket. Now it makes sense, the oil was never cooled that's why the cooler looks so new, pipes are empty and that's why the fans always came in so early

Last edited by Aramis; 07-10-16 at 16:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Cold as in room temperature? Or just moderately warm? Normally you can hold these pipes without burning your hand, I guess they are cooled due to the airflow over the pipe surface.
(Post Link) post #53 of 64 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

Just came home again and touched, yes, moderately warm now but in no way hot...why do I always get these weird faults...the pipes and actual cooler are warm to the touch and do not warrant extra cooling, this should be a hotspot that needs airflow to cool down but no, just warm, is this normal when the display reads 120? The fans don't cool the oil, the cooler does, so when I cruise at 180, 190 or 200 or faster for prolonged times, like long distance driving, it will be possible even at higher rpm and engine load because I have an additional cooler for the oil. What else of use would the cooler be otherwise. There is no point in having an oil cooler when one has to reduce speed every ten minutes to cool the oil down.

Last edited by Aramis; 07-10-16 at 22:21.

Club Member
Membro Premio

So if the oil cooler / pipes are as warm as you think they should be if 80-100 degrees oil is flowing through them, then I think you need to start looking at why the gauge is reading high. You have an oil temp sensor at the back of the engine, wiring from there into the loom, the data for oil temp is fed into the speedo head which then drives the infocentre's display.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I would have thought that if 120C oil was flowing through the cooler, then you've have burn marks if you held onto the cooler. It would not be "warm", it would be "effing hot". Like the water radiator and that is only running at 100C. Does the gauge still say 120C with the engine running when you hold the pipes? Because at least one of the pipes should be at 120C, and that will leave a big stripe on your hand....
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Garage
Threshold of pain is 60C - So if it is warm / hot : it is 40C / 50C (conductance type heat) no flow in the pipes. No laser thermo needed to confirm blockage.

As Pud say if it flows continuously it should settle at 80 / 100C that is scolding HOT.

SO yeah - sorry Aramis, the thermostat in your oil pipe needs to be fixed.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
I would have thought that if 120C oil was flowing through the cooler, then you've have burn marks if you held onto the cooler. It would not be "warm", it would be "effing hot". Like the water radiator and that is only running at 100C. Does the gauge still say 120C with the engine running when you hold the pipes? Because at least one of the pipes should be at 120C, and that will leave a big stripe on your hand....
Try touching one of your oil cooler pipes next time you take a GTA out, see how hot they are. I've never known them to be as hot as the coolant radiator/pipes. Those steel pipes are quite thick walled and it takes a lot of energy to heat steel up.
AO Member

You can also measure the oil temperature by pulling out the oil dipstick, and pluging in a thermometer specifically designed for measuring oil temp this way. Devices for measuring emissions (like they use for MOT), usually have those thermometers (or at least they had where I did emission test).
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Try touching one of your oil cooler pipes next time you take a GTA out, see how hot they are. I've never known them to be as hot as the coolant radiator/pipes. Those steel pipes are quite thick walled and it takes a lot of energy to heat steel up.
Yes .... but mine is not getting that hot. Away from the motorway, it barely climbs to the third bar, and on the motorway, it never goes above the third bar. So it is probably shunting very little of the flow to the cooler, the cooler doesn't have much to do.

He's hitting temperatures that would demand ALL the flow is going via the cooler, it is way too hot. So if the gauge is reading true, then the cooler should be very hot.
(Post Link) post #60 of 64 Old 01-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

After checking again this weekend, the cooler does get hot. The bars still climb, even only short stints home and to work, maybe 5km's it reaches to bar 4 as a matter of normality. What I also noticed, once I am on four bar, the oil dipstick gets so hot I cannot even remove it.

On my last trip after the oil change I did 180km/h's cruising and the bar stayed at four all the way down as it should be but short stints back to or up to 5.

I am thinking, given that even today it is again 38 Degrees Celcius, this is normal.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
You need a bigger cooler.
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Infrared thermometer is useful for this caper.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
You need a bigger cooler.
Aramis, have you changed anything yet? Oil Thermostat?
(Post Link) post #64 of 64 Old 04-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertie View Post
Aramis, have you changed anything yet? Oil Thermostat?
Not yet, I will use this weekend to strip the front off and have a look whats happening there.

I can't actually wait to put my overalls on and get dirty, such a stress reliever :0

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
engine , max , oil , temp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page