156 Suspension replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By a17esh
  • 1 Post By eivindcl
  • 1 Post By Jam5k1

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 27-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire-
Garage

Member car:

156 V6

156 Suspension replacement

Hello all.
The time to replace my suspension is fast approaching and I am starting to gather everything I will need. I am only using TRW upper and lower wishbones and will buy decent shocks and springs. I will be getting the upper and lower wishbones powder coated before fitting as well.
At this point I have several questions.
1. Is it worth fitting powerflex bushes while I am doing a complete suspension change?
2. How long are the standard bushes likely to last?
3. Springs and shocks choice - Lots of posts recommend the B12 kit. What I am after for my 156 V6 is to be slightly lowered (no more than 30mm) and to be more comfortable on rough roads. Currently I can feel every minor bump in existance. I have also seen a KW suspension kit which seems to be highly recommended. I have 17" GTA wheels too. I'd ideally like a suitable cross between decent road holding without suffering from internal bleeding after a short drive! Has anyone replaced their suspension and what would you recommend? Any further advice would also be welcome. Currently I plan to buy all the required parts (front and rear) then take the whole lot to be fitted in one go.
Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dorset
Keep your original uppers provided the ball joints are ok, Powerflexed or strongflex them. Use TRW lowers, I was warned off power flexing lowers as they work their way out. Someone posted a thread powerflexing his lowers, be interested to see how he gets on. Replace your droplinks.

As far as kit goes I have no experience but will be fitting kW coilovers to my GT as I am told they are da bomb. B4 is supposed to be OEM, b6 stiffer and b8 very firm. If you just want slightly lower and more comfortable then maybe b4/b6 with eibach pro.

156 1.8 TS wizard cat back, upgraded brakes
GT 3.2 wizard cat back, wizard manifolds, full head rebuild, quaife, sexy sexy engine
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
I would keep all bushes and wishbones original.

If you are on budget and want better ride quality. B4 shocks and orignal springs. Plan to change your arbs and drop links. I really think you will happy with this set up. It smoothens everything out. You won't get ride of the hard ride but you can take off the harshness.

Lowered, I went with Koni FSDs and Eibach springs. Very good.

While you and under the car check for anything loose that adds too the effect of a crashy ride. E.g heat shield.
Cosmo156SS likes this.

AO Member

County: Queensland
B6 and B8 are essentially identical, the latter is made for lowered springs and simply has a shorter rod.
I have B6 on my Sportwagon and wish I'd gone with B4, they're firm as ****
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Some ideas:

- Don't bother power coating suspension parts, they are pretty much service items.

- I have Eibach springs/arb + B6s + 16" wheels on my 2.5 V6. In hindsight, too hard. That said, it handles like a go-kart, absolutely ridiculous road holding. (Got an LSD as well). A strut brace has stopped the worst of the dash rattles.

- The GTA has Eibach springs, rear ARB (not fitted the front yet), FSDs and 17" wheels. Better, not as kart like, but no LSD at this stage.

- Poly - I've polyd the upper arms in the 156 V6, no increase in harshness, big improvement in handling. Also the bush on the rear hub at the bottom - can't feel much difference, but will be a 15 minute job to fix next time rather than hours.
AO Member

County: -
GT with kw v1 and eibach arbs and strutbrace = very happy.
TOX1C likes this.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Alexander View Post
Hello all.
The time to replace my suspension is fast approaching and I am starting to gather everything I will need. I am only using TRW upper and lower wishbones and will buy decent shocks and springs. I will be getting the upper and lower wishbones powder coated before fitting as well.
At this point I have several questions.
1. Is it worth fitting powerflex bushes while I am doing a complete suspension change?
2. How long are the standard bushes likely to last?
3. Springs and shocks choice - Lots of posts recommend the B12 kit. What I am after for my 156 V6 is to be slightly lowered (no more than 30mm) and to be more comfortable on rough roads. Currently I can feel every minor bump in existance. I have also seen a KW suspension kit which seems to be highly recommended. I have 17" GTA wheels too. I'd ideally like a suitable cross between decent road holding without suffering from internal bleeding after a short drive! Has anyone replaced their suspension and what would you recommend? Any further advice would also be welcome. Currently I plan to buy all the required parts (front and rear) then take the whole lot to be fitted in one go.
Thanks all.
KW V1's without a shadow of a doubt.
TOX1C likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
KW are mega bucks aint they? Heard nothing but good things about them. What makes them amazing?
AO Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
KW are mega bucks aint they? Heard nothing but good things about them. What makes them amazing?
Variant 1 should be 799, around the same as a b12 kit. kW variant 1 has height adjustment. Variant 2 adjustable compression, v3 adjustable rebound.

I don't know why as haven't fitted them but Laurence at AL b'mouth raves about them, he's been sorting 156, 147 and GT suspension for years.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Got a set of V1's on my 156 and the ride is superb. Was expecting quite a hard, stiff ride when I got them fitted but it just wasn't like that, the damping is excellent, not harsh at all and you feel so much confidence when driving the car hard. Worth mentioning I fitted Eibach front and rear ARB's at the same time (highly recommended too!)
For UK roads I doubt there is a better suspension for this car which is exactly what Alfie at Heath Road Garage said!

They retail at around 999 but there are deals out there, you should get them for around 700-800 sovs, worth every penny!
AO Member

Novitec Gewindefahrwerk 'Stradale' - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos

these are kw v1, just rebranded novitec

these are not the stainless steel ones, there are "stradale+" and cost 150-200 more. Just email them, they might have them.

They are perfect on my Gt v6. My friends 156 sw jts has the same, but is a bit harsher. I believe it is because its as low as it can go, and less weight in the front.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I've got a used set of KW V1, to suit the 5cyl & 6cyl engines 156/147/GT. Can do them for 500 delivered. They are the stainless steel ones and are in great condition, only got used for 9 months before being swapped for a set of KW V3.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I've got a used set of KW V1, to suit the 5cyl & 6cyl engines 156/147/GT. Can do them for 500 delivered. They are the stainless steel ones and are in great condition, only got used for 9 months before being swapped for a set of KW V3.
Not suitable for the 1.9 JTDm GT by any chance?

I'd have your hands off otherwise...
AO Member

County: Limerick
This thread is of interest to me

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa 2.5 V6

Hi Pud , these V1's still for sale ?
Cheers
Matt
Club Member
Membro Premio

Just waiting for Editor to come back to me, but you can have first dibs if he doesn't want them?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Its a negative from me, insurance declined to offer cover with proposed modifications

I think that for the moment my money is safer in a pot named "new clutch when it needs it".

Odd thing is that adding uprate brakes, quick-shift gear lever, decat pipe, and a speculative set of upgraded ARBs didn't affect the original quote at all... But as soon as an adjustable set of coilovers came out, no bueno!
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Its a negative from me, insurance declined to offer cover with proposed modifications

I think that for the moment my money is safer in a pot named "new clutch when it needs it".

Odd thing is that adding uprate brakes, quick-shift gear lever, decat pipe, and a speculative set of upgraded ARBs didn't affect the original quote at all... But as soon as an adjustable set of coilovers came out, no bueno!
The only time my insurance company would be interested is if the suspension has been changed and no longer uses the original pick-up points. Coil-overs are the same as standard suspension apart from the adjustable height and the fact that the springs are matched to the shocks. As for the cost, if you fit FSD's the cost could be greater than some coil-overs.

Member car:

Alfa 2.5 V6

Can you let me know the best way to get hold of you Pud ? Not done much posting on here yet , getting to grips with it !
Not Sure if her Dan or not ? Had emails with yourself re Wizard exhausts
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcelmonkey View Post
Can you let me know the best way to get hold of you Pud ? Not done much posting on here yet , getting to grips with it !
Not Sure if her Dan or not ? Had emails with yourself re Wizard exhausts
Give me a ring, 01768 879171

Member car:

Alfa 2.5 V6

Thumbs Up

Cheers
AO Member

County: -Armagh
Quote:
I would keep all bushes and wishbones original.
Lowered, I went with Koni FSDs and Eibach springs. Very good.

While you and under the car check for anything loose that adds too the effect of a crashy ride. E.g heat shield.
How long have you had the FDS's on and have you had any drama?

I was thinking of getting a billie B12/B14 for my ti, mechanic recommended FSD's for the adaptive damping thing they do, but after reading some Alfa peoples posts I'm not so sure what to do now.

I read here and on other alfa forums that the 147/GT chassis can be problematic with FSDs and lowered springs (my stocks are factory lowered). While others have pointed to reliability issues with them leaking and breaking, awkward fitting and camber issues, especially on a 147.

To the point where autolusso supposedly stopped supplying them.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Hello everybody.

I'm also highly interested in this thread, as I am too looking for advices to change my 156 V6's suspension with a quite similar configuration for something more comfort friendly. I am also looking forward to the answers of Sagacious' questions, as I read here and there that the FSD's with Eibach Pro-kit springs are the best fit.
Here in France, I found the FSDs for ~600 €, which is around the same price than B6.

Last edited by Neocray; 04-10-16 at 13:29. Reason: Moved into own thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , replacement , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page