147 1.9 16V - stock clutch with a remap? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By _The_Editor_

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 27-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
147 1.9 16V - stock clutch with a remap?

140HP version. A remap will supposedly get the car to 175-180HP, according to my tuner. How likely is it for the clutch to hold or is it a goner after some time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
How old is your clutch at the moment?

Pretty common complaint for original clutches to give up within 10-15k of a remap... However if it's a newish clutch you might be alright...

I had mine remapped about 6k after having a new clutch fitted... 60k later and no signs of slippage yet!
baxter2308 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

Pretty common complaint for original clutches to give up within 10-15k of a remap... However if it's a newish clutch you might be alright...

I had mine remapped about 6k after having a new clutch fitted... 60k later and no signs of slippage yet!
Same here. New clutch and DMF at 65k, remapped at 75k (ish) and still ok so far. As recommended by Pud, I drive it like a Twin Spark using slightly higher revs between the gear changes rather than trying to boot it from 1500 and making everything unhappy.

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 27-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

Sorry for my late response, just got home. Unfortunately I have absolutely no clue regarding the age of my clutch. The car is at 90K miles right now, no signs of wear (knocks on wood) on the clutch. The car has been serviced at an Alfa dealership till around 50K miles after which I lack history all the way till 80K miles . From then on, I have complete history, but nothing regarding clutch. My guess is, either original or it has been changed during the service history gap. Can I realistically have a stock clutch at that mileage? I drive very forgiving to mu clutch. The top gear low rpm floor it test showed no slippage.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Sorry for my late response, just got home. Unfortunately I have absolutely no clue regarding the age of my clutch. The car is at 90K miles right now, no signs of wear (knocks on wood) on the clutch. The car has been serviced at an Alfa dealership till around 50K miles after which I lack history all the way till 80K miles . From then on, I have complete history, but nothing regarding clutch. My guess is, either original or it has been changed during the service history gap. Can I realistically have a stock clutch at that mileage? I drive very forgiving to mu clutch. The top gear low rpm floor it test showed no slippage.
If you are not willing to replace the clutch, then I would avoid remapping it. If you're happy to take the risk, get a remap done as it makes a massive difference to these engines.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 28-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
If you are not willing to replace the clutch, then I would avoid remapping it. If you're happy to take the risk, get a remap done as it makes a massive difference to these engines.
Spot on. I'm willing to get a remap, but not a new clutch as well. It's an unfortunate thing, since I really want more performance, but I'll guess I'll deal somehow with out it. It's not like it's slow
I just cleaned the EGR valve and treated my engine with a properly closing thermostat. It is a nippy car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , 16v , clutch , remap , stock

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page